SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

dichondra taking over my back yard!

gurley157fs
18 years ago

Dichondra is taking over my back yard at an amazing rate. I'm not sure what to do about this. I'm not much of a 'grass fan' but I prefer grass to this stuff.

I always thought that if I just mowed regularly that the grass and clover would take over. In my front yard the old centipede has come back (we moved here three yrs ago) and is lush and green with no extra care except mowing.

The back yard which is about 3/4 acre has large expanses of grass and clover. I am also trying to encourage dianthus. This Dichondra is threatening all of it! Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

The bit of research that I did said that it is a heavy feeder, requires lots of watering and cannot take heavy traffic. Well if that were the case mine would already be dead instead of running rampant over my back yard.

I'm posting this on the carolina forum instead of lawns because we seem to have plant 'issues' that some other areas just don't understand.

Just the other day I saw an old article in Southern Living promoting the planting of Jackson Vine, aka Smilax. I was just about as stunned when I saw that some people actually plant dichondra as a ground cover.

Comments (3)