SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dannie317

How to make this little guy grow?

Danielle Rose
10 years ago

This small cactus (maybe 3"?) has been sitting on the windowsill at work for over 5 years now. In all that time, it has not grown one bit. It's not dead (at least it doesn't look dead), but it's not doing anything. I want to see if I can get it to grow.

It looks like the guy who it belonged to pulled it out of the container it came in, peaty soil brick and all, and stuck it in sand, and that's how it's been ever since. He has completely forgotten about it, so I'm going to repot it and see what happens.

I know it needs to have the chunk of soil still currently stuck to its roots removed. It is bound to do a bit of damage. Once it's cleaned off, should I leave it bare for a bit, or put it back in soil immediately? Speaking of which, I know the sand is a bad idea, but I don't do much with cacti, and I'm not sure which direction to go. I have commercial cactus/suc mix, perlite, and medium gravel (a little bigger than your typical fishtank gravel). I lean toward just putting it in the gravel, because once I start watering it again, that would drain and dry very quickly. But all of my succulents are in a half-half succulent mix/perlite (repotting into gritty mix would be near impossible for me right now). So I'm torn.

What say the cactus people?

Comment (1)