SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
killyourlawn

Help Me Decide What Trees To Put In Front Yard

killyourlawn
14 years ago

Hi, I am a new member (I've been a lurker for a while!) and have lived in my house in LA for a year now. The previous owners had cut down a huge tree due to it getting sick and dying, so now we have no shade at all. (and we can't replant where that tree was- the roots are underground, etc.)

I am going to remove the front lawn and plant a couple of trees and then try to do as many CA native plants and bushes in the front garden as possible and avoid planting any more lawn there. The front yard is 30 ft deep (from front step to sidewalk) and 23 ft wide and faces west (and slightly south). I am thinking of planting a Desert Willow towards the front and maybe a Western Redbud closer to the house. The front tree should be the "big" tree- and I am trying to decide between the Desert Willow and an African Sumac. I want a fast-growing tree that is pest resistant. Or I could just do 3-4 water birches closer to the house.

Any ideas would be very appreciated. Also a nursery where I can get a 10-15 ft specimen tree.

Thanks, Brooke

Comments (18)