SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Shrub/small tree (or vine) suggestions for side yard

jenn
12 years ago

Our side yard renovation has been a slow work-in-progress for the past few years. The path leads from our patio to the back garage door, and will soon be covered with Apache Brown crushed stone accented with larger stones along the edge. The long oval area in the middle includes 2 new apple trees ('Anna' and 'Dorsett Golden'), and our true dwarf Meyer Lemon will go in the spot at the end (which is much larger than it may appear in the photo). The beds along the house and fence, and the spot marked with yellow X will be planted in late Fall.

I'm looking for a shrub or small tree, or vine, for the spots marked by the green and yellow X's. The soil is alkaline clay. I love the look of limbed-up shrubs with graceful arching branches.

Yellow X:

Morning sun until about 1:00pm in summer, and open shade in winter. Measures 4 ft. deep x 7 ft. wide, and is right outside our dining room window. The wall (back of garage) faces northeast. I envision a limbed-up shrub or small tree 6 or more feet tall. I was considering Brugmansia but I'm not sure it's suitable for this site. Also considering Brunfelsia (however, slow-growing) and Mock Orange, or a loose-growing vine covering an attractive iron trellis.

Green X:

Sun from late morning until mid-afternoon in summer. Measures about 5-1/2 feet deep and wide. I want it to hide the shed and am also considering a lattice "wall" to hide the shed and perhaps a vine in this spot. (Since the apple trees are still young it may be too early to add any permanent plants on that side until the trees are mature and we know how much sun they allow.)

{{gwi:545429}}

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (10)