SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay_gw

Are Phormium 'Rubra' and Phormium 'Rubrum' the same plants?

14 years ago

Are Phormium 'Rubra' and Phormium 'Rubrum' the same plants? I tried to check them out online, but I get conflicting information on these two from different web sites. Heck, that happens with lots of plants that I have researced.

I want a dark Phormium with upright, sword-like leaves (not one that looks like 'grass') but I don't have room for a huge one. I would like a dark red or maroon or purplish color. I asked a friend of mine and he said some get as big as a car and you need a Bobcat to take them out! That sure won't work in this instance, since there are boundary limitations.

Hubby and I looked at two very nice nurseries in the Sacramento area today. Hubby loved the 'Rubra' that we saw, and now that is the standard by which he is going to judge all future candidates. The specimen said it got to 6' tall, which is a deal breaker for me. Sorry, I wish I could change the laws of physics...but it's just not going to fit if it gets BIG. I read on the Marcos site that 'Rubrum' only gets to 3' tall. That's the size I want. Any ideas? Do any of you have personal experience that might help???

Thanks,

Bonnie

Comments (4)