SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phiberxoptic

Nepenthes during winter

phiberxoptic
18 years ago

I presently have 3 Nepenthes plants, 1 of which is a rafflesiana, 1 ventricosa, and 1 that was labeled as an alata but it looks just like my ventricosa so maybe they both are ventrata or whichever. My question is how to make sure they stay healthy during the winter months. I try to keep them under a light but I guess it's not strong enough and I don't have any windows that get sunlight that I can hang them from. Usually I grow them outside during the spring and summer, but during the winter I have to bring them in. They are all kind of healthy, they constantly sprout leaves, but the pitchers never develop, they either die before they open or when they do open they only stay for about a week if that and then they start to blacken.

I thought about maybe getting a mini greenhouse with a grow light, and just placing them in my room somewhere, or on the porch. Would this work for keeping them healthy all year round, because during the summer and spring they go WILD but during the winter I can't seem to get them to grow very much. BTW do any of you know of a good tutorial or website that shows you how to build a DIY mini greenhouse, I think I have an idea of what I want out of PVC pipes but I would like to see what others have done.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I need to find something different for these guys. Thanks.

Jason

Comments (9)

Sponsored