SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eliz33_gw

Lawn mower accident with my Child

Eliz33
18 years ago

Hi all I have quite a story to tell. I am actually feeling a little funny typing this. But yes I am looking for support and I know what a great group you all are and well Gardening is my refuge and this is my outlet.

2 weeks ago my husband was working on a riding lawn mower. We have always allowed the children to ride with us on it and assumed those accidents you hear about happen to other people. "We were different!" My husband had just put the belt on the blades and was riding it around looking under it to see if the belt was tight and the blades were moving. My 2 1/2 year old son came running out to get on the mower with his daddy. My husband looked up just as my son appeared. He shut the mower off and pulled the deck up. The front tire hit my son's foot, knocked him over, and threw his foot under the blade that was still spinning. All of the skin on the top of my son's foot was ripped and his big toe was broken in three places. I called 911 and the Ambulance came and told us they would be flying my son the Greenville. I can not begin to tell you how scared we all were. I was very afraid he would lose his foot. We spent 2 weeks in the Pitt Memoral Hospital. They are hopeful that we may be able to save his big toe. He has been through 2 surgerys and been put under 5 other times for cleanings. We are headed back to the Hospital tomorrow for another cleaning. He will be put to sleep again and get his 10th IV put in he likes to pull them out. Sorry that this is so long just needed to vent somewhere. One more reason not to allow children to ride on mowers.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting