SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mzmercury

New garden - All shade- Overwhelmed!

mzmercury
18 years ago

I'm starting from scratch in a north facing bed that is 5x35 all shade. I haven't included a photo as it's a bare bed against the house, so nothing to see yet.

I haven't done any shade planting before and was under the impression that there weren't that many shade plants - WRONG! lol I'm also suffering from some zone denial as I'm originally from OC but am now in Central California (z9) and it's been frustrating for me. Worrying about freezing or too much heat...BAH!

I have found some wonderful resources online that show shade plants by zone but having to click on each and every link to find out height, spacing, etc, etc is starting to get overwhelming because of the sheer number of plants available.

So my question is, instead of trying to do this from scratch, are there any good pre-plotted design plans for a typical rectangular bed that you could recommend? Or if not, some combinations that might be a good starting point and then I could fill in as I tackle this research monster?

I'd like to get a combo of nice tall, medium and low growers and although I really love the yellows, I'm open to all color combos. Also looking for advice on edging...to edge or not to edge?

My soil stays toward the slightly damp but the soil itself is good. I do deal with earwigs and ants (which I didn't ever have in OC!) but not a single snail...weird huh?

Any ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Theresa

Comments (23)