SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lenle_gw

Keeping Jades Thriving

lenle
11 years ago

My "new to me" jades - a garage sale find from about a week and a half (maybe two) ago. I'm getting ready to put them into new pots with some gritty mix, but want to get advice and/or recommendations on how best to proceed.

{{gwi:555124}} is a "mini jade" in as much as the leaves are about 1/4 the size of a normal jade. The pot it is in is about as deep as the plant is tall and far too wide for it.

{{gwi:555125}} is a regular jade that just needs to be put into a new (maybe smaller) pot with gritty mix. A tiny spider has taken to camping in its canopy - I tried to get the bugger but he Jackie Channed my q-tip so for now he'll stay. Maybe he'll keep other critters at bay.

Both are in an east-facing window, though the bigger jade gets additional lighting by a CFL lamp (100w equivalent, "daylight" variety). The bigger jade also has a bit of scorching on the leaves from my earnest attempt at giving it light (too much, too soon - I've cut back accordingly), but aside from that, they both appear to be healthy.

I haven't watered these since I got them. The surface soil was dry at that time - or at least seemed to be dry. I've felt the leaves to see if I needed to water them, and while they've become soft and slightly pliable (I remember someone here comparing it to how your earlobe feels), when I check the soil below the surface it feels slightly damp so I'm confused.

Now that I have my foliage pro and all the hoses are hooked up outside, I'm ready to break them free of their old soil/pots and move them into new ones. Typically, I'd transplant into fresh, wet gritty mix. I plan on using foliage pro at the next watering (1/8th tsp per gallon of water?) and then at every other watering during the summer, and maybe once during the winter. Is that the best way to go or should I try something else? I know terra cotta pots are recommended because they help wick away excess moisture, but I don't want to water my jades too often and am afraid that it might come to that.

From all that I've gleamed by reading through old posts, the general rule of thumb seems to be 'plenty of light and water sparingly' which I'm /trying/ to follow now. Any other help/recommendations/suggestions are appreciated. I'm quite eager to learn how to do this properly and though my usual method is 'trial by error'... I kinda want to avoid killing these in order to learn how not to kill them!

Comments (29)