SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merricat_gw

Calling all fertilizer-experts. In other words: HELP!

merricat
18 years ago

It's that time again, when we plan what seeds we need for the vegetable garden. A time which I both love and dread....someone clone me, quick!

Y'see, we've got this little (about 2 acres this year) vegetable patch over at a friend's farm. In theory, it's supposed to grow the vegs needed for a few families and one Sangha (for special occasions). And frankly, it ain't been doing too great over the past coule of years: low yields, poor quality, quick-bolting greens, and much waste.

Part of it, I think, is the earth itself. It's fine for growing barley and canola, but it sulks when you try anything else (except, of course, potatoes, which are death-defying). So this year we're taking a different patch, one that's been fallow for at least 2 years. That should help.

What would help even more would be if Clueless-cat could figure out how to dry-fertilize. There's so much land to weed and work (actually, I like weeding...don't tell anyone), and hand-mixing and pouring fertilized water on individual plants or rows is just plain exhausting. And I can't put a feeder on a sprinkler hose: the source is a well-pump, and the pressure is very low.

There MUST be something I can use that goes on dry. Something I can sprinkle down each row, preferably just before a good rain, and that won't burn the plants. But if there is, I'm not having any luck finding it.

I'm in your expert hands....be gentle with me.

Love and droopy greens,

- Merri

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery