SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
droogie6655321

Calling all yard experts

droogie6655321
16 years ago

Hey yard people!

I over-seeded my front yard yesterday with a type of tall fescue. Before seeding, I covered my yard with a mixture of composted cow manure and Canadian peat moss. I put down plenty of seed and watered thoroughly.

Is there any way of knowing when I can expect to see any results? Should grass start to sprout in a week? Two weeks? A month?

I plan to keep the ground moist over the next week or so, per the instructions on the bag of seed. I still have plenty of seed left over, so if this attempt fails, I can always try again.

As far as the condition of my yard goes, it's about 25 percent weed-covered, 40 percent dead weeds, 10 percent bare ground... and since I'm no good at math, I'll just go ahead and say that whatever is left over is healthy grass.

The area is shaded in the middle with a large oak tree surrounded by a circular planter. I'd say it gets partial sun, however. The bag says the grass works in partial or full sun.

Oh, and for an additional fertilizer, I sprinkled the lawn with blood meal, which is high in nitrogen. I understand the grass will need plenty of it to grow.

Thanks in advance for any help you're willing to offer.

Comments (2)