SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spapa_gw

Light dilemma driving me crazy!

spapa
10 years ago

Hello everyone! I am going crazy with this lighting dilemma I've been having. I have been trying to find the right indoor location for my plants this winter and I have been having a lot of trouble. Initially, I put everything in a south-facing window, since I figured it was the only place they would get enough light. Unfortunately, 90% of my plants shrivel when I put them here. I tried a north-facing window and they etiolated, and I also tried moving them a couple of feet back from the south-facing window and again they etiolated. They don't stretch in the south-facing window, but the leaves get thin and wrinkly, and slowly die off. I of course tried upping the amount of water I gave them, and it worked temporarily, but within 24 hours they were back to their shriveled state. Even every other day wasn't doing it and I stopped for fear of rotting them.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Why am I having so many problems with the south facing window, when that is the recommended indoor location for succulents? Is it possible that it's a temperature problem rather than a light problem?

I am attaching some photos of wrinkled plants for illustration purposes. As you can see, the G. paraguayense is also etiolated now, the result of my lighting experiments.

This post was edited by spapa on Fri, May 2, 14 at 19:48

Comments (10)