SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nuitjasmine

Easy Flowers for Black Thumb 'Gardeners'

nuitjasmine
14 years ago

Sorry for the long post, but this is the situation:

My brother and SIL have asked for my help in re-landscaping some smallish flower beds on the NE and W sides of the property. I would normally jump for joy at the opportunity, but unfortunately their bad track record with plants has me less than enthused. I once told them that their small beds would be gorgeous as "jewel box" gardens since they are generally viewed up close. Now my words are haunting me, and they are smitten with the idea...

Over the years, I have trotted over there with various plants and cuttings to share and not too many seem to do well. I even plant them, placing them correctly, digging deep, adding compost, checking the watering system, following up on later visits, etc. Still, I am usually surprised at how plants tend to die untimely deaths at their hands. And these are plants that I know are easy to grow and take some benign neglect!!! I do suspect my SIL has a heavy hand with pruners and when "weeding" but other than that, I haven't been able to determine why so many things suffer.

The land is not blighted or otherwise cursed, (lol!) as the previous owner had a cute, if modest, selection of plants, many of which have died or stopped blooming.

I will be adding a truckload of compost to the beds, and really examining the watering system and possibly re-working parts of that if it proves inadequate.

Annuals tend to do better than perennials with them, but I want to have mostly perennials to form the bones and I would like to use re-seeding annuals for the seasonal color. I have a little list of plants that I think will survive, and be suitably "jewel-like," but does anyone have suggestions?

They are in S23-24, so they have hot, dry summers and fairly mild winters.

TIA for any advice! :)

Comments (4)