SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

P. mucronata & P. cresphontes - Warning - X-Rated!

MissSherry
14 years ago

I was working in my garden today preparing a spot for my three new passionvines, P. mucronata. Last year I had two of them that I planted in a mostly shady spot. They grew beautifully, flowered a few times (at night), and fed as many gulf fritillary caterpillars as the native maypops/P. incarnata. The leaves stayed tender at all stages, but then, they never really got a chance to get too old, since the caterpillars ate them before that happened. When winter came, we had a couple of light freezes with temps about 30 degrees, then when we'd have warmer weather, I'd see a little new growth at the bottom, so I thought they could withstand mild freezes. When we had a freeze where the temps got down to about 27 degrees, they died back and never made any more new growth. I ordered three more from Georgia Vines, because I thought maybe I could keep them alive through the winter in the back raised bed in my garden, because it's close to the place where we burn debris. I'm thinking that if I pile mulch high on the plants this winter and keep a fire going at night when we have a freeze, even a mild one, maybe they'll survive. I guess I'll find out.

While I was weeding, I noticed a male giant swallowtail/Papilio cresphontes courting a female who was nectaring on my Ellen's Blue butterfly bush. I got out my camera, another male came up, then another male and they flew into the orange tree next to the butterfly bush. I went around to where they were and made this picture. I've never seen a threesome before, at least I guess that's what it was - there were so many wings, the 3rd male might have been in there somewhere!

{{gwi:472492}}
Sherry

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH