SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redshirtcat

Do NOT buy an Ez-Flo Fertilizer Injector

redshirtcat
12 years ago

Do NOT buy an Ez-Flo Fertilizer Injector.

Here is the story:

In an attempt to give my plants the 1 tsp of vinegar per gallon of water and .25 tsp of fertilizer per gallon of water that they like I recently purchased an Ez-Flo injector. I have been using hose-end sprayers and they work very well. They are accurate and do exactly what I want (the one I'm using happens to be a Gilmour). The problem with the hose-end injectors is that they significantly throttle the flow so it takes about 5 times as long to water the same number of pots. They do, however, perform as advertised and put out solution at the rates that you set them to. I check mine daily with some very nice pH and EC meters.

Enter Ez-Flo. I wanted to be able to water at full flow. I did a bit of research and the Ez-Flo is what I came up with. Now, I understand based on their website that the unit will taper off toward the end of the cycle. This means that it will not give me *exactly* what I want but it was supposed to be consistent and "proportioning" until very near the end of the tank. You can see their claims here: http://www.ezfloinjection.com/1-6.asp

I installed my tank according to the instructions. I did note an oddity - the printed instructions that come with the unit say that a setting of "1" will proportion at a ratio of 1.333 tsp per gallon whereas the website says it will give you 1.5 tsp per gallon. Odd that they don't seem to agree with each other. I did the math on my unit (3/4 gallon size) and found that if the unit puts out 1.5 tsp per gallon then I would need 8 cups of vinegar, 2 cups of fertilizer, and 2 cups of water in the tank to get the desired output. I figured it would be best to assume that the unit put out the higher amount so as not to burn my plants (ask if you want to know the math to verify for yourself).

I made sure the setting was on "1" and started the unit up. The ppm and pH readings on my sample gallon were off the charts. The pH was *really* low and the ppm was almost 4x what it should have been. I have little 12mL syringes that I use to mix manually and take benchmark readings - .25tsp of FP in my water should give me ~380ppm NaCl - not the 1100+ ppm that the Ez-Flo was giving me.

Next I tried it on the slowest possible setting. The unit was still putting out *way way way* too much solution. Had I not tested it I would have burned and killed plants in a matter of days (they don't appreciate pH values under 4.5).

So I called Ez-Flo tech support. The guy (at extension 13, Jeff is his name) walked me through a test to make sure my unit wasn't stuck at "fully open." He had me stick a thin wire through the cap to verify that it was. My unit was "working," the wire went through.

Next he said that based on my use of the unit I might want to take off the mixing wand that is inside since the unit can be used with dry fertilizers that need to be mixed. He said this would make the unit run ~100ppm hotter than it had been but that it would proportion more stably.

Today I did a bunch of tests. This unit is actually putting out 1 part solution per 80 parts of water ON THE SLOWEST SETTING (this is after the modification for stability). That's 80:1 on slow. Assuming he knew what he was talking about (a poor assumption, I've discovered) that means the unit should be about 180:1 on slow with the initial wand in place.

Here is what their website says the unit gives:

Slow 1,000 to 1 15,000 to 1

1 500 to 1 8,000 to 1

2 250 to 1 2,000 to 1

Fast 100 to 1 400 to 1

So right now with the modification to make it actually proportion stably it is running hotter than even the fastest setting should give me - and it's on the slowest.

So what do I do? I call back today and ask to speak with Jeff. I ask him if there is any way to make the unit run slower. Putting 10 cups of water, .5c of fertilizer, and 1.5c of vinegar in a tank kind of defeats the purpose. I'd have to fill it every day, maybe twice a day on some days.

It turns out - they DO make a part that will make the unit work as advertised. Guess what? You have to buy it. I asked him if they would send me the part since the unit was not working at ALL as advertised. Had I been like most consumers and assumed that it was just because their was fertilizer coming out I would have done serious damage to the vitality of my plants or maybe killed them.

He told me that he would not send me the part. Then I started to get mad - I explained that look: I know he's just a tech support guy and the policy isn't his fault but the unit never worked as advertised - that the documentation differs from the site, that in any case it puts out WAY WAY over what it says it will in EITHER place and so on. If there is a part that makes it work as it should then the company should send me that part. I explained that this was just bad customer service and so on.

And this, fellow GardenWebbers, is where it gets good. He told me that he DID have the authority to ship me the part. That he is the "operations manager" - he just "WON'T" ship me the part.

So in short: the Ez-Flo fertilizer injectors DO NOT FUNCTION AS ADVERTISED. Not EVEN CLOSE. Not even at the START of the tank. They *could* work as advertised if they send you a different part. But they "WON'T."

DO NOT BUY these products. This company is absurd. I will be sticking with my hose-end sprayers and telling this story in any forum that talks about gardening online.

I'm furious with these guys. If you frequent other forums you will see me posting the same message there. I apologize to you in advance for that but I really want to get the word out on this "product."

Note: these are the cliff notes I can provide more details of the *absurd* conversations if you'd like but the takehome message is this: they unit does not work as it should. They don't care that it doesn't. They don't care about false advertising or angry customers. Stay away.

Comments (33)

• greentiger87
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had similar frustrations with using a hose end sprayer to add vinegar to my hard water... I ended up trying and really liking "siphon mixers". From what I can tell, its a lot lower tech than ez-flo, and works through a purely physical mechanism intrinsic to the hose fitting itself. You can't change any settings. For example, I have two different mixers - one is made of brass and dilutes 1:16 ratio, and the other is made of plastic and dilutes in a 1:20 ratio. For the brass version, I make up 2 gallons of concentrate at 16 times the recommended rate, stick the input tube in the bucket of concentrate, and I'm good to go.

It also throttles the water output somewhat, but not nearly as much as a hose end sprayer. The mixing is remarkably accurate as far as I can tell (I used a standard colorimetric pH test commonly sold for hydroponics). There's considerable room for error with vinegar anyway, so it's not life or death. Just thought I'd share what works for me :)

One limitation is that it won't work with certain kinds of nozzles. Straightforward lever/spigot controls are ideal.I use a long shower wand with a lever control. Pistol grip nozzles on the other hand, mess with the siphon mechanism. You can tell nothing is happening by the fact that 1) the output isn't throttled down 2) the input hose isn't vibrating as it takes up concentrate 3) the level of concentrate in the bucket doesn't fall.

• Related Discussions

Injector for drip irrigation

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the response Twolips. I saw the same setup from EZflo on the Dripworks site, but it was considerably higher priced. How big is your drip system? Like I said my system totals about 260-280 ft. If the three gallon will do the trick, then I will order it. Doug
    ...See More

e-z flo automatic fertilizing system - 3 gallon

Q

Comments (8)
    Ditto that the Siphonex is a much better way to deliver a truly EVEN concentration of fertilizer. The EZ Flo suffers from the same fundamental flaw that the hose-end Miracle-Gro feeder does, in that it delivers a more concentrated solution at the beginning and a less dilute concentration at the end of a cycle of filling it with fertilizer. I fell for the hype on the EZ Flo several years ago, realized its limitations after using it for a year, and it's now sitting in my garage. I'll send mine to you for the price of postage. All you have to do to test the even-ness of fertilizer application with either the EZ Flo or the hose-end feeder is to apply a colored fertilizer like MG and carry around a white styrofoam cup and look at the color of the solution it produces. The only drawback with the Siphonex is that it has limitations on the length of the hose you can use to deliver the fertilizer (too long and the siphon stops working), and that it can get clogged if large particulates get in your delivery bucket.
    ...See More

Applying liquid fertilizer/compost tea

Q

Comments (3)
    They work fine if your tea is perfectly filtered. If you have clumps of stuff, it will clog the spring filter at the bottom of the black hose connected to the siphon. Whatever you do, don't take out the spring. If you do and something gets sucked up the hose, it will clog the orifice inside the nozzle and the siphon stops working. It took me half a day to get a piece of a leaf out of the orifice. When you finish using the siphon, rinse the entire thing in hydrogen peroxide to clean the inside of the black hose. One drawback to using compost tea is that it will leave a thin bacterial slime deposit on everything it touches. With time that slime is toxic to the same microbes you brewed in the tea. The hydrogen peroxide should clean the insides for you. Oh, and because of the slime, I would not drink out of the garden hose you use with the siphon.
    ...See More

EZ-FLO Fertilizer Injectors

Q

Comments (3)
    The Ez Flo Hose and Bib injectors work well but can not be left under constant pressure, so as long as there attached after the shut off valve or set on a timer your all set. Ez Flo also offers in line constant pressure systems but they get a bit pricier. Strong injectors may also be a good way to go. Most their models are high pressure very simple systems making them fairly indestructible and less complicated to use. Here is a link that might be useful: Ez Flo injector
    ...See More
  • redshirtcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks greentiger, I looked at those but decided not to use them because of the available mixing ratios and because they supposedly do not work with longer hose runs (no idea why).

On most sunny days I need to put out about 100 gallons of water to the pots. That means I'd need a 5-6 gallon reservoir that I would fill up every day - with mostly water.

768 tsp per gallon. That means that the 1:16 siphon injector gives about 48 tsp of solution per gallon of water. If I want to put 1.25 tsp of active solution per gallon of water to the plants (1 tsp vinegar, + .25 tsp fertilizer) then what would go into the reservoir would end up being ~38 parts water to 1 part fertilizer+vinegar solution. It feels like I'm going in circles at that point.

It might be worth it in terms of time savings if it works at full flow and I may go that route in the end but I didn't want to start there. I was willing to spend some money on a product that would do what the Ez-Flo website says it will. I mean a ratio of 500:1 is very close to what I was looking for and there it is on the website: 500:1 - it looks so perfect! I can add 2 cups of water, no problem.

If only the thing actually worked.

I wonder why hose-end sprayers don't work for you? The Gilmour is very accurate for me. Probably something to do with pressure/flow of our systems I guess.

• greentiger87
    12 years ago

Oh no, the hose end sprayers definitely worked.. I just got incredibly annoyed with how much it throttled down the output. It was taking me at least 3 or 4 times as long to water my plants.

• penfold2
    12 years ago

That's really terrible that the EZ-Flo was that far off. The whole point of using an injector is to simplify things, and it kind of defeats the purpose when you can't trust the manufacturer's injection rates, and have to refill your container every day. I bought a Dosmatic MiniDos 1% injector (1:500-1:100) and I love it. The downside is that it's pretty expensive. But it works from 0.03-12gpm. I can hear the clicking noise speed up and slow down as I vary the output, even down to a trickle.

One question for you. Have you noticed any problems mixing the concentrated acid and fertilizer? I only inject acid right now but have considered mixing in fertilizer as well. I just wonder if there are any issues with precipitation or bacterial growth when the two are mixed.

• redshirtcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have been mixing the 2 in translucent hose-end sprayers all season. I keep them outside in a partly shaded spot but they do get some sun. I've seen no issues with bacterial growth.

As for precipitation I contacted Dyna-Gro and asked them about precipitation and they said that so long as whatever I'm mixing the fertilizer with is acidic I should see no precipitation. I would call your fertilizer manufacturer and ask. If you're using FP from dynagro then you should have no problems.

I tested the combination myself by putting it in a glass container in sunlight for a few weeks. I saw no problems with a .25:1 and 1:1 mixture of fertilizer:vinegar.

That said - I've been using the hose-end sprayers which I have to refill about once a week. I'm not sure what would happen over a very long term situation where you only filled it up once a month or something.

How much did you pay for your dosmatic? The cheapest I see the minidos 1% is for ~$250. Does that sound right?

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I use citric acid and FP, so I may try adding fertilizer to the acid in the future. I think I paid around $230 or so for my MiniDos. I got it from QC Supply which was the cheapest source I could find. I talked to an owner of a local commercial greenhouse before buying it and he said he uses the same type of injector and recommended them.

• redshirtcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just did some math on the citric acid. I followed this website: http://www.brewery.org/brewery/library/AcidifWaterAJD0497.htmland calculated what it would take to bring my water from a pH of 9.8 and alkalinity of 100ppm CaCO3 down to a pH of 5.5.

If I did the math correctly it's something like 1.059 grams per gallon of water. I don't have any citric acid handy but I assume that is a much much smaller volume than 1 tsp of vinegar. So you are making a solution of some kind and then injecting that solution? It would be great if I didn't have to use vinegar since in a ~500:1 situation the vinegar comes to about 8 cups to the FP's ~2 cups. I could refill 4 times less often if the citric acid will mix with the FP in concentrated form.

It must be *very* acid and concentrated though? I would definitely check with DynaGro (call them, they are nice) and make sure the citric acid will dissolve into the FP and things will stay in solution.

The only downside is that vinegar is about 3 cents per 100 gallons of acidified water and citric acid (at 20$ for 5 lbs shipped on ebay) comes to about 9.3 cents per 100 gallons.

3 times the cost for 4 times less refilling HMM. Let me know if it works and stays in solution! Also what pH are you going from/to and how much citric acid is it taking?

• penfold2
    12 years ago

My water has a very high alkalinity (just over 300ppm CaCO3), so I add about 1.54g of citric acid per gallon to reduce the pH from 8-something to 5.8. I bought 10lbs of citric acid for $32 on eBay which makes it about twice as expensive as vinegar rather than 3x. The thing I like about it is that I can buy a big bag of it that lasts a long time rather than buying gallons of vinegar. I also wonder how consistent the acidity of vinegar is.

If I do mix acid and fertilizer, I'd still have to dilute them with water due to my injection rate. I'll let you know if I try this.

• ferretbee
    12 years ago

Remember: 'Everything these days is manufactured to be sold, not to be used.' -Me

• stealle
    12 years ago

@redshirtcat - Thanks for the information on the EZ-Flo. I was moments away from ordering it until I read this post.

So I ordered the MiniDos 1% instead. It looks like it should be a very accurate unit. I can't wait for it to arrive. The price stung a little but I'll get over it.

@penfold & redshirtcat - I'm having trouble with my ph. My irrigation water is very alkaline. pH keeps going up even after using sulfur this spring. So I'm going to start adding citric acid to my irrigation water using the MiniDos. I plan to add the citric acid to a 5 gallon bucket and run the MiniDos at the slowest setting (1:500). Can you give me a better idea of how many ounces of citric acid to add? penfold says 1.5Gm per gallon. well, that's 750gm per 500 gallons. Are you really weighing the citric acid? I'd think you would just use a cup to measure it out. I would guess that 750 gm would be about 3 cups of citric acid. Please give me some advice.

BTW, What is "FP"? Thanks!

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Just to be clear, when I say 1.5g per gallon, I mean the injector is adding the equivalent of 1.5g dry citric acid to each gallon of tap water that passes through the injector. The acid solution to be injected is mixed much stronger. At a 1:500 ratio, you would need to mix your acid solution at 750g per gallon in order to achieve a 1.5g per gallon solution after the injector. And yes, I use a digital scale to weigh my citric acid. If you want a volume estimate, that would be about 3.5 cups. (The granular citric acid I bought on eBay weighs ~214g per cup.) Keep in mind though, this is the amount I use for my tap water which has a high alkalinity of about 300ppm CaCO3. I have no idea if you would need more or less, but perhaps it will give you a ballpark figure. You really need to test the pH of the output water, and then adjust as necessary.

One more thing. Measure the water before adding acid, because adding acid increases the water volume.

Also, FP stands for Foliage Pro which is a fertilizer made by Dyna-Gro that many of us like to use.

Let me know if I can help with anything else since we have almost the exact same setup.

• stealle
    12 years ago

Thank you penfold! This information gives me a good idea of where to start. Just to make sure I understand correctly. Assuming I have the same ~8+pH as you, (no worries, I will test MY irrigation water) I would add 3.5 cups of dry citric acid to one gallon of water, set the MiniDos to 1:500 and the final output would provide ~5.8pH, correct? I will make sure to test my irrigation water before and after adding the citric acid before applying to any plants but, yes, this gives me a ballpark figure. At least I know I will most likely be working with cups not teaspoons for my application.

BTW, I ordered the ebay citric acid (perhaps from same ebay seller "dudadiesel"). I'm hoping I can use some to remove some iron stains I accidentally got on my sidewalks. It seems a little safer to work with than muriatic acid. Thanks for the tips!

• penfold2
    12 years ago

Just to make sure I understand correctly. Assuming I have the same ~8+pH as you, (no worries, I will test MY irrigation water) I would add 3.5 cups of dry citric acid to one gallon of water, set the MiniDos to 1:500 and the final output would provide ~5.8pH, correct?

Acid should be dosed according to alkalinity, not pH. Alkalinity is the ability of a substance to resist a change in pH, so it is directly proportional to the amount of acid required. If you had the same alkalinity as me, then the above numbers would be correct. My alkalinity is quite high, and I have no idea if yours is as well, so I can't make any guesses. At a pH of 5.8, all of the alkalinity should be neutralized, so that is a good target to aim for. Also keep in mind that the pH of your output water can change until it reaches equilibrium with the atmospheric carbon dioxide level. The pH of my tap water will rise a full point as it releases excess CO2. Because of this, I aerate my water in a bucket with a paint mixer for a minute or two to get a fast, accurate reading. Many people don't bother with this, but it will give you a more accurate reading if your water has a high CO2 concentration.

And yes, dudadiesel is the same person I bought my citric acid from. It has a few lumps, but they're easily broken up. It may not be a good idea, but I sometimes get some on my hands without any issue. Can't say that I'd do the same with muriatic acid. :)

Good luck!

• stealle
    12 years ago

Thanks penfold!

I tested my irrigation water today with a calibrated Hanna pH meter. It was 8.75!!! That seems insane! I'll probably start with 3 cups of citric acid per one gallon (at 1:500) and see what that gives me. However, based on your experience I'm guessing I'll need 3.5 to 4 cups per gallon.

My MiniDos arrived a couple days after I ordered it. I'm still waiting for my citric acid to arrive. Can't wait to see how my plants will respond to irrigation water of about 5.6-5.8!

• moon1234
    11 years ago

I need to respond to this thread as it is misleading. The EZ-FLO DOES work as described, just not the way the original poster wants to use it.

I grow veggies on a smallish market scale of about 3 acres. I use the 3 gallon model to inject fertilizer every week. The dosing schedule works just fine when you use dry or prilled fertilizer. The theory behind this is that only so much dry fertilizer will dissolve into solution. The rest will sit at the bottom of the tank.

The max solute solution will be injected at a slower or faster rate based on the selection on the top of the cap. I find that the number of gallons required to empty the tank is more useful than the ppm or teaspoons rating.

If you put liquids into the injector they will NOT be proportioned at a proper rate. This is because the injector is constantly adding water to the tank and this will dilute the liquids. I know EZ-FLO says it will work, but liquids just don't work right. You would be much better with a venturi style injector or a dosatron style injector. Both of these will draw a concentrate from a stock tank and inject it at a predefined rate until the stock tank is empty.

Venturi style injectors work by creating a constriction in the water flow path. This difference in pressure is enough to create a vaccum that will draw the solution from the stock tank into the water line. The downside is that venturi style injectors drop the pressure in the line by 15-20 PSI. If you have a well with a pressure tank set at 40-45psi then you will have very low pressure after the venturi. When you factor in friction loss of a garden hose over distance, you may loose to much pressure by the time the water hits the end of the hose.

Venturi injectors are inexpensive.

Dosatron is essentially a water based piston pump. Water flow through the pump makes the piston work. This draws solution at a predefined rate which can be adjusted. As the flow of water increases the piston pumps faster. This means that the concentration stays very uniform even when the flow of water changes.

Dosatron style injectors are expensive. The cheapest starts around $250-$300.

EZ Flo works best when you fill the tank with a large amount of dry concentrate. The injector will then draw off the max solute at a very consistent rate until the dry concentrate is all dissolved, then the mix will slowly weaken until nothing is left. This is what is depicted all of the marketing materials.

If you check your irrigation water with an EC meter and compare the readings with the data from the fertilizer manufacturer, you will be able to get a pretty accurate dosing.

So does EZ-FLO work well? The answer is, it depends on what you put in it and how you use it.

• redshirtcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The way I wanted it to work was the way it was advertised as working. The way it is *still* advertised as working many months later despite assurances from the EZ-Flo team last year that they were "updating their website" to more accurately reflect the EZ-Flo capabilities (no updates have taken place that I can detect).

To wit:

"EZ-FLO's patented technology can use fully concentrated liquid (no premixing required) or water soluble products and deliver them quickly or in small micro-doses every time you water, creating superior nutrient uptake and more beautiful results"

The first thing to note is that they advertise that it works with liquid fertilizers. Perhaps this is "true" in the sense that you can put liquid fertilizer in the EZ-Flo and it will come out of the tank at some unknown time and at some unknown concentration neither of which is at all related to the settings advertised and it certainly isn't proportional micro-dosing.

Now had I only tested the unit with liquid fertilizers perhaps I would put some credence in your claim that it works as advertised with dry fertilizers. As it happens I've also tested it with 2 different water soluble fertilizers - a Jack's Professional product and a simple Miracle Gro product. Neither one of them proportions anywhere close to the ppm indicated in the material that comes with the unit - AND, importantly, the unit is also wildly inconsistent in terms of ppm/ec readings. They do not just fluctuate toward the end of the cycle.

So: does EZ-FLO work well? My answer is, not with liquid concentrate fertilizers and not with any fully soluble dry fertilizer that I've tried (Jack's and MG).

Maybe you don't test your irrigation water every day. When I start with a new product I test it daily for quite some time before I trust it. After I trust that it will work I switch to checking once a week or so and I make sure I use tracer dye in my concentrates so that if there's a catastrophic failure I don't burn my plants.

We agree on venturi injectors. They proportion as advertised in my experience and I used hose-end versions until I got tired of the pressure loss.

I regret purchasing the EZ-Flo and I think anyone who cares about a consistent ppm N will regret it as well. If you're growing in-ground where you have much greater buffering capacity and you can dump much higher concentrations of fertilizer with no problem then maybe you will be happy with an EZ-Flo. But if you grow in containers? I would stay far, far away from this product.

If you ignore that advice then I suggest you invest in a high quality ec/ppm meter and use it diligently.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks for the warning, redshirt. Was considering buying one until now, and I appreciate the warning. I feel your pain - I hate bad service. Earlier this year I had to deal with a mail-order nursery that sent me dead plants and refused to refund my money. They did offer to send me more dead plants though. Did you ask to speak to #13's manager? Maybe you should send them a copy of this thread to illustrate the damage that #13 has done.

Moon, just wondering where did you get your theory from? If I understand you correctly, what you say seems to make no sense. If the EZ-Flo relies on the insolubility of the solid fertilizer, well now different solids have different solubilities and dissolution kinetics, so there's just no way they could work properly for all solids. Sounds like you're getting lucky though if it's working for you.

• redshirtcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes - I did speak to someone eventually (note that the thread was a year old before Moon1234 resurrected it). I went through the whole ordeal after my experience. I sent a letter to the BBB and I wrote an email to the head of the company in which I linked to this thread. Eventually that got their attention and they sent me the required part for free. It didn't work for liquid fertilizers and I didn't test it with water soluble fertilizers because I was fed up at that point. This added part by the way is a ball valve with 1/4" connects drilled into it on either side - I believe it is meant to function similarly to a venturi tube but I'm not positive about that.

After using a chemical injector from dosmatic for a year I recently ordered a 2nd unit (one is injecting sulfuric acid, the other fertilizer). I've been very happy with its performance. I assume other brands are just as good but most were more expensive than the one I chose. I can't see myself ever going back to inferior products. Figure another ~$30-$50 on the price of any of those style injectors to install them properly (you should build a 3-valve bypass for them) - but so far it's all been money well-spent.

Here's one way to think about it: Using the venturi tube that was accurate took me over twice as long to water than it does now with the dosmatic. If you spent $365 on an injector and the bypass setup then for a dollar a day you can water with accurate ppm N in half the time. How much is your time worth to you? If you can't afford one you can't afford one - but don't think an EZ-Flo will help. Stick with a cheap venturi and save your money for a dosatron/dosmatic/whatever down the road. Or know that if you use an EZ-Flo you're gambling with the health of your plants if they are in pots.

• redshirtcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry - just one more thing I want to add to this thread. I didn't fill in all the details of the various conversations I had with that Jeff guy because no one asked and no one was saying that the EZ-Flo worked for back when I posted. I forget many of the absurd things he said but one of them is seared into my memory: "You want this unit to function like a $300 injector" - whenever I would actually go through the trouble to test my irrigation water for consistency and note that it was 1) inconsistent and 2) massively over-dosing on fertilizer he would give me that line. He must have said it 15 times. "You want this unit to function like a $300 injector" over and over. I wanted it to function as it is advertised as functioning.

A quote from their website: "As shown in the graph under the table, EZ-FLO technology results in a level application rate and there is no concentration/dilution "spike" as occurs in other proportioning systems that have direct mixing of fertilizers with water. You can prove it yourself with an electrical conductivity meter (EC) if you want to, but we hope you'll just take our word (and the good folks at the independent Peters Laboratories where this test was conducted) for our claim."

Yeah I'll bet you want us to take your word for it. I didn't. I tested it myself and found their claim to be... I'll use the word "hogwash" instead of the one I should use here. Now I'm all angry at this company again after reading this thread and checking their website and seeing that they are still making the same claims. Grrr. Buy an EC meter if you're going down this road.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I bought one for acidifying the water for my Blueberries and after finding out how quickly the mixture diluted,I called them and they told me to remove the inlet tube,but that didn't help.
    It seems like these are for the casual watering of lawns or small areas. Brady

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I bought one for acidifying the water for my Blueberries and after finding out how quickly the mixture diluted,I called them and they told me to remove the inlet tube,but that didn't help.
    It seems like these are for the casual watering of lawns or small areas. Brady

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Ha,server error had me do it twice.

• moon1234
    11 years ago

@maple_grove

Yes you are correct that different fertilizers will dissolve at different concentrations. The PPM listed on the EZ-Flo website is a liquid PPM injection. I.E. how much solute mixture is removed from the tax per volume of water, not the concentration of the fertilizer.

That can be very confusing for people. That is why I said I rely solely on the gallons that it takes to empty the tank.

As an example. I have several thousand tomato plants on black plastic. I figure out how fert I want applied each week and then dump it in the tank. I then figure out how many gallons it is going to take "empty" the ez-flo tank. I then set the proportioning cap to 1, 2 or 3 based on how many gallons it will take to empty the tank. For most of my weeks that means the cap is on 1 or between 1 and 2.

I also use a ball valve to control the amount of solute that is removed from the tank. So I can technically vary the dilution rate based on how much I close the ball valve. Most of the time I close it just enough to get the mixture moving.

When testing with an EC meter at the end of the drip tubes it is close to where I want it and I seem to get fairly uniform application.

I like EZ-Flo because it was cheap. A good quality dosatron would be the only other option I would consider, but that means a larger brine tank and I really don't like that idea since my setup is near the field. I can see the idiot kids shooting at it with their .22 when I am not around.

Anywho, for market growers who are fertigating a field, etc. I think that it works just fine. If you want exact PPM of your mixture then you really need to spend the money on either a venturi or a piston pump.

For me, I just like dumping in my fert for the week and then forgetting about it.

• pitts1234
    11 years ago

@redshirtcat I do agree their statements are a little broad since the above suggests you can inject gasoline or whatever you want... I also do not see anything on their website about recommendations for injecting vinegar or acids just fertilizer, so I would assume they probably do not market the system for this purpose. I would like to know, did they offer you a refund when you said the injector wasn't working???

I am actually very happy my EZ-FLO injectors, they have always worked very well for me. Of course I was not trying to inject vinegar or acids so maybe my experience does not count, but still it does the job. I use it through a small drip irrigation system to my garden and a garden hose for watering my flower pots but only use powder fertilizers. I could see if you were hand watering at a high feed rate where the lack of accuracy would be an issue, but again it is not something I have experienced.

Regarding their customer service, I personally found it helpful and honest. I actually have spoken to Jeff several times when I was installing my mainline system earlier this year for my lawn. I did notice when you call in you only have two options, Jeff or Dan and they both are very nice and knowledgeable about their product. I think this is actually very rare considering the hours I spent on the phone with RIM and Orbitz over issues talking with support in different countries... I would assume they are probably not a very large company although the website may appear this way.

I would recommend this for anyone looking for simple and easy general fertilization since that has been my use and it has been more than sufficient.

• redshirtcat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This thread keeps being resurrected.

I assume that these guys have customers of some sort or another since they are still in business and I further assume that you are similar to the typical customer. Which is to say: you are using this injector in in-ground soil with a dry granular fertilizer similar to miracle gro.

Ok, fine. You set it up and it appears to be working for you. But have you checked? Do you have a high quality EC meter with which you can monitor the concentration of the fertilizer that is being applied to your plants? I have one and I've checked (something they say on the website we could do but they hope that we'll "trust them"). The unit does not function as advertised even using the typical dry granular fertilizer.

And yet you are still happy with it. Why? Because you see plants that are in your view doing fine and you see the fertilizer being used eventually. The fact that there is unevenness in application is not apparent to you from the plant (because you don't have consistent applications to compare it to) nor from testing of the output from the unit.

But it *is* to me and it *should* be to you. The fact that you're almost certainly using mineral soil will mitigate some of the downsides of the unit - but you'd still be much better off with a steady application of a known quantity of fertilizer. Plant vigor would increase and you would have better control over the timing of concentration at certain times of the year.

Anyone who will be happy with the fact that this unit will take fertilizer and in some way or another put it on your plants at some dosage or another will be happy with the unit! *That is not what they say it will do.*

To answer some of your questions: No, they did not offer me a refund. For that I would have had to send it back to the company from which I purchased it - at my expense.

The acid has nothing to do with anything. I also tested this unit with straight liquid fertilizer (with which they claim the unit will function as advertised - it doesn't) - and I had the same result. I was attempting to use it with acids at first, but when that didn't work I did further testing and found the unit doesn't function as advertised in *any* scenario that I tested.

Here's the thing: if this unit does not apply fertilizer in a consistent concentration (and it emphatically does *not* do that) - then what is the POINT of the unit? Anyone who wants fluctuating concentrations of fertilizer should just be applying a dry granular product directly to the soil. And - most importantly - using the correct dry products directly in the soil one could almost certainly achieve more even concentration of available fertilizer than with this unit!

Get yourself some sulfur coated urea or polymer coated urea products (or equivalent) and your plants would be better off, you will likely have saved money on the fertilizer itself, and you will not have had to purchase this sham of a product.

Or if you want more control then spring for a quality fertilizer injector that does the job a fertilizer injector is supposed to do: provide consistent concentration of fertilizer for maximum plant vigor and control. There are quite a few companies which make products that work. Some are even in the same price range as this piece of junk (venturi injectors) though they still have the downsides discussed in earlier posts.

• penfold2
    11 years ago

redshirtcat,

If you'll notice, pitts1234 just registered yesterday in order to resurrect this old thread with a positive review. Maybe it's genuine, but it seems awfully suspicious to me. And I don't know if it means anything, but his username is also very similar to the last person to resurrect this thread with a positive review.

Anyways, if this product actually performs as you say it does, then I'm guessing most of their customers don't bother to check their water with an EC meter which they absolutely should when using a product like this. They're just taking the manufacturer's word that it works as claimed.

-Chris

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Well, I've got a couple of them, and for home use they're wonderful. I bought the smaller one, and then went back and bought the one with the larger bottle to avoid refilling as often.

Pefectly adequate for dispensing Miracle Grow and the like for containers, flats, in-ground plants, and much faster than a hose end sprayer or a siphon mixer.

• pitts1234
    11 years ago

@penfold2- I typically read the forums for information on everything for quick fixes to my car to home repairs and in this case I was searching for fertilizer recommendations for my EZ-FLO. You do not have to register in any forum to read the posts, but you must register if you would like to voice your opinion. I did use 1234 because pitts was already taken and I noticed moon1234 used numbers to get the base name they wanted. I took the easy simple route, not too creative, but not see how that matters� If I was making multiple posts I think I could do a bit better job of hiding my tracks...

@redshirtcat- All I am saying is I have had great results with the system, I have not tested the output but I have not lost any plants either. It has been a excellent upgrade from the 4 in 1 I used before, and I am happy with it. You were obviously not, but our experiences and applications are opposite. When using the 4 in 1 I lost a couple plants and I know that thing is not accurate at all, but I am pretty sure they have sold quite a few and probably 95% of the people on this site have one in their garage or tool shed. I do agree EZ-FLO needs to change their messaging since it is way to general and should market more to customers like myself, denninmi, and moon.

• penfold2
    11 years ago

Ok, perhaps you are just a satisfied user. But I don't think anyone can provide a useful review of a product like this without testing the EC of their water, and so far, redshirtcat is the only one who has done that. His results speak for themselves.

-Chris

• ljenningsea
    7 years ago

EZ-FLO Fertilizing Systems is a scam! The company doesn’t have the proper government licenses to offer, manufacture, distribute, or sell the products they’re selling. Their warehouses also don’t comply with sanitary regulations! Keep a good distance from this company or anything they sell.

• brooksgr
    6 years ago

I have been using EZ-FLO products for years, and yes, I check the concentration with good digital meter. I did make my own ball valve adapters to give me more fine control of the concentration, and checked them many times until I got too bored to worry about it. I have used these products for above ground strawberry planters, for in ground raspberries and blackberries, many vareties of grape vines, kiwis, tomatoes, potatoes, and landscaping plants. No problems, lots less work.

My main complaint is that it is a bit tedious to refill them, which caused me to finally just go to a place like Home Depot, buy garden sprayers, and equip them with fittings to duplicate the functionality of the EZ-FLOW tanks. Cheaper and easy to fill. I have never used liquid fertilizer in them. I have 19 watering circuits with sprayers, drippers and T-tape, which are supplied through five fertilizer injectors.

• HU-77509893
    4 years ago

I had a system installed for me by a local landscape company. It sounds like this was there 1st time installing one as I have had to trouble shoot for them to get them to come back and make some adjustments.

I have two 5 gallon tanks installed. If it is on a setting of "1" not much flows from either tank. If I change the flow to max "fast" 1 of the tanks will flow and the other tank barely flows. I added food coloring to be able to test this. 1 tank will become clear after some time, the other tank is still colored. The landscape company did come back and close the vavles that they installed with the EZ-Flo tanks and the results have not changed - 1 tank eventually becomes clear fairly quickly and the other tank remains colored with just minor dilution of the food coloring.

Can someone help me trouble shoot, the EZ-Flo help line has not been helpful in resolving. Has anyone else had a similar issue with a multiple tank system?