SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huachuma

Cat deterrent

huachuma
15 years ago

I've seen too many cat related threads deteriorate into angry rants in the past in the GW forums, so please let's not have that happen here... I'm bringing this up as a possible solution for those of you that may have problems with stray or neighbors' cats using your garden as a litter box.

A little background first... A few years ago we had some irrigation work done in our back yard and the company that tore up the lawn laid some new sod for us in this area. But the sod would not take because every night a troop of raccoons would come thru and neatly roll up the sod to get access to the worms and other bugs that were living beneath.

We tried everything that we could think of including weighing the sod down, using bright spot lights and even trying the ultrasonic Yard Guard repellers. Nothing fazed the raccoons.

Then a contractor friend of ours told us to try laying orange netting (the type used to protect trees, etc. at construction sites) over the newly sodded area. This worked wonders! The raccoons apparently didn't like to get their feet caught up in the holes in the netting and they totally left the sod alone after that.

After this success I decided to try the same trick in my vegetable garden, but this time to ward off cats. The holes in the netting are large enough to allow most plants to grow thru whether they are from seeds (beans, corn) or transplants (lettuce, peppers). And, the cats have stopped using our garden as a toilet.

The netting is a bit unsightly at first, but as the plants grow they cover much of the orange plastic and it doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

I've heard of using chicken wire in the past, but I think this works better for my needs. The openings are larger, the netting rolls up easily at the end of the season and you don't have to worry about being poked by the chicken wire...

Before the seedlings emerge...

{{gwi:532413}}

With full grown plants growing thru...

{{gwi:532414}}

Hope this helps those of you with cat problems

Mike

Comments (11)