SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob123how

Long Sedum Rubrotinctum Question

bob123how
17 years ago

I've got a Sedum rubrotinctum (jellybean sedum) that I've had for almost a year. It has put on a lot of new growth, growing from 2 strands of jellybeans to 15 now. Recently (within the past week) all of the bottom jellybeans on most, though not all, of the stalks have died back very rapidly. Far more rapidly than ever before, it goes from a green succulent jellybean to a dry shriveled shell that readily falls off the plant in less than 48 hours. Where the leaves were, the plant is pushing out incredible masses of aerial roots. In the past when jellybeans have seneced, it has taken a while and they go through shades of red then yellow and slowly shrivel away.

A couple recent changes in culture that might be of importance... 3 weeks ago I watered lightly and neemed the plant because I was seeing Honeydew drops. Nothing untoward happened. One week later I watered just a bit again, and did a followup application. Could the neem have dehydrated only the bottom leaves?

A few days later I was repotting Venus Flytraps and soaking them in a Superthrive dillution. That caused me to want to foliar feed the nepenthes with Superthrive, and I got carried away and ended up misting all of my plants with it. Maybe the Superthrive caused it to stop making leaves and push out aerial roots.

Finally, it is sitting on a South windowsill, but I am convinced it no longer gets sun anymore. It got direct sun when I moved into the apartment, but no longer does, so I suspect it has to do with the seasons and the height of the sun in the sky. Could a reduction in light have caused this?

Now I am left with a stalk of jellybeans about 4 inches high (one and a half Bic lighters, for scale), standing straight up, with the bottom inch being nothing but aerial roots. Should I take a cutting of this? If so, should I cut it at the bottom of the stalk and plant the aerial roots below the surface of the soil? Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)