SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisware_gw

Help identify agave which is hardy in WV

chrisware
12 years ago

Hi all,

Here is a pic of a young agave which I tried to winter outside just for fun, so I left a small pup in the ground and potted the rest winter before last. It's much larger now and still has VERY rounded leaves... a lot of blue cast to it also. NOTE the snow and the parryi pup behind it.

Since the pup lived , I put a larger one in the ground last summer and it overwintered just fine also, so I need to take new pics of them and add so you can see them close up more.

It looks NOTHING like any of my A. parryis, nor my havardianas. Any ideas what it could be. The person who sent it thought it was utahensis, but from everything I've read, its not all that hardy for people.

Unlike the parryis and havards, which have a needle on the end which smoothly and narrowly transitions down to a point, this one rounds out more lobed, with the needle looking more seperate on the end.

And though I know that young plants are hard to tell much about, when pups come up in the hardy bed, I can tell if its from the parryi or the havard, just by the shape if the first two leaves.

It's driving me nuts not knowing or having an idea what this is.

Look forward to the discussion,

Chris

{{gwi:544586}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting