SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merricat_gw

Be careful who you trust with your seeds

merricat
14 years ago

I don't know if this belongs here or on the "chat" forum. I'll put it here for now, and I'll make it as short as I can (if it's wrong: Sorry, GW).

As many of you know, I grow heirloom tomatoes and save the seeds to give away/SASE to whoever wants to enjoy them. After about 7-8 years of work (and MANY THANKS to the GW members who helped so much), I had almost 80 varieties. My goal: to have a regional HT seed bank here in north-central Alberta, where gardeners could take and/or contribute and we could keep these strains alive and affordable.

In January, a local business-owner asked to grow "my" tomatoes to donate or sell cheap to local gardeners. The deal was: I start the seeds, she hardens off at least one of each variety in her greenhouse to plant on her farm. Result: I could have "young", viable seed. She would recover costs AND have this great variety. Seemed like a great idea.

I'm not going to give you a blow-by-blow. I wrote it out for myself, and it was 5 pages long. But the outcome was this: she decided (I don't know when) that it would be a business. The plants were going to be $6-$8 each. She NEVER TOOK THEM OUTSIDE, just stuck them in a north-facing window. And then got angry because I wasn't "doing the work to run 'our' business." (???)

Total seedlings potted: about 7,000. Yes, THOUSAND. But she got bored (or tired) and stopped before planting each type, so 20 or so were just ignored and left. And he window-plants are biggish, but sick and buggy and moldy.

I've removed my stuff from her place and don't want anything more to do with her. She keeps calling and demanding to see me. I may actually have to bring in the RCMP on this....it's nuts!

And she doesn't have a farm. Or a greenhouse. And I've lost roughly 45 varieties: no seeds left, and no plants that could live.

Why is she telling me this?

Purely selfish reasons: I'm absolutely sick about it, and my non-gardening aquaintances say "it's just seeds, go buy more!" But gardeners would understand.

Thanks for listening. Believe it or not, it helps. A lot.

Sigh. Know anyone who sells Heirloom Tomato seeds at a really REALLY good price?

- Bettina

Comments (9)