SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

I shoulda known better.......never mention an idea to my DH

Ok I goofed, I happened to mention to my DH that I thought I would like to try growing succulents on my antique plant stand this year. Oops! Guess what I got for mothers day!!! Bless his heart he went to Lowes, and came home with a bunch of cute litte plants in these little plastic pots, and now I have no idea what to do! Well I sorta do, but just sorta.

Ok here was my idea, I have an antique plant stand with 11 arms, I usually put pots of heat tolerant geraniums on it in the summer. But I am constantly watering them, at least once or twice a day. This stand is on the south side of my house, where it gets hot. (Well......as hot as it gets here in Northern Minnesota, which is NOT as hot as elsewhere in the country.) Anyway, I thought I would try something different this year, something I didn't have to water so often, could bring inside in the winter, and would not have to replace every year.

I have some hen and chicks in my flower beds, a friend gave me some more in a different variety. I have a poor neglected Jade plant I thought I could take some cuttings from. THEN the DH came home with all these babies! And he also came home with a bag of Cactus soil to plant them in.

I was thinking of using some pottery bowls in bright colors that I have. Drilling a nice big drainage hole in the bottom, so the plants wouldn't drown. These would not be to large, about the size of a 16 oz cereal bowl (that's exactly what they are) But I don't know if the cactus soil is right.

Included in his purchase was a larger plant (baby's tears I think) that I wondered if I could split up, so I could combine more than one variety in each pot.

I do have an unheated greenhouse I could start them off in for a while. Especially as we are still cold (colder than normal) this spring, 30's at night, and only 50's during the day. I have veggies, annuals and perennials started in there right now, but there is still plenty of space.

If I do this, and get it right, will I need to water as often as every day? How about if I go away for 2 to 3 weeks,(July, not much rain) will I need to have someone come water them for me?

Does anyone have any advise for me as to how to go about this? I do have a lot of experience growing other things, but have managed to mess up or avoid the succulents until now.

Thank you

Jenny P

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor