SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgbeig_gw

Bay Area Tulip Growing

13 years ago

I posted this on the bulbs forum, but I thought I should repost here for any tulip growers. Please help :)

-----

I'm new to tulip growing and I have a few questions. I hope someone could help.

First, I planted tulips in December this year and they are in bloom now. I planted two varieties and only one was successful, most of the others rotted before they could bloom.

I don't remember the exact names. The ones that rotted were the parrot kind with the ruffled edges, and they are yellow and red.

The ones that were so successful (came up later) were a pointy tulip, with red on the outside and yellow inside.

They look similar to this

http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Item&_recordnum=5163&_category=Tulips:Species

So, I'm wondering a few things.

First, the ruffled tulips that were unsuccessful, look like they still have some bulb trying to come up. Is it possible they would send up a second stalk and bloom?

I've read that I can't dig these out and keep them for next year. That our climate is not good for that.

is that true?

Should they be pulled and tossed?

And lastly,

I have a coupon for bulbs that I can use now.

I don't need summer bulbs but I would like to try some more tulips and peonies for next fall/winter.

Can I buy they now and keep them stored til next year?

Can I store them in a box in my garage?

And in general, some questions for anyone else in San Francisco (or west coastal region with fog):

- When do you plant out your bulbs?

- Have you found that certain varieties of tulips (or peonies, which i haven't grown yet) do best??

- Any other tips or tricks you learned along the way?

Comments (3)