SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflutter

Plea to all foster parents raising monarchs

butterflutter
16 years ago

Ya'll made the butterfly parenting thing look so easy that I am attempting it but am failing miserably. I have read and tried to do what tdogmom's site on monarch's suggested but I am still getting the sick cats and by sick I mean the green diarrha problem.

Here's what I'm doing so correct me on what I need to change. I got a large plastic container with a lid that didn't fit very tight. Next, I lined it with newspaper, got some floral waterpics filled them with water and milkweed and set them out in an overturned metal collander,(the kind you drain pasta in). It holds the waterpics upright well. Left everything on the porch, which gets no direct sun but it is extremely hot outside every day - 100 plus - and changed the newspaper and milkweed daily. That was three days ago and out of 14 cats I have only 10 healthly ones left. The 4 are writhing and moving like they are in pain and all this green stuff is coming out from somewhere. Frankly, I don't expect them to be alive in the morning. I have isolated them from the healthy ones, changed the newspaper in the box that contains the healthy ones and replaced it with paper towel and wiped the container with bleach, plus got rid of the collander and put a egg carton in it's place just in case the metal collander had some rough places on it.

So what gives here? Do these cats get this alot? Could the newspaper dye make them sick? Is it something that spreads quickly? And does it affect the older ones more frequently than the very young ones? I have a box that contains about 15 very tiny ones and they are doing great but these bigger ones I got when they were about a half inch long and they just don't seem to adjust to captivity as well.

Any suggestions I will gladly follow as I feel like a murderer and think that they would have been better off taking their chances out in the freedom of the garden.

At this rate, I won't have anything left in a few days!!!!!! Butterflutter

Comments (19)

Sponsored