SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question

16 years ago

Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden book didn't cover this.

A year ago I planted a 5 gal Pride of Madeira. Very nice looking, flowers just peaking out etc. Well, it TRIPLED quickly, flowered great. I knew I needed to move it since I had no idea it would grow so fast. I severly pruned it back so the roots wouldn't have as much to take care of when transplanted. It was transpl. in same bed, just in the corner near a wall. I don't think my husband made a big enuf root ball as it's leaved drooped severely and I thought "she's a gonner". I either pruned it again before or after it recoverd (can't remember the order now). Anyway, when I cut it, it was into what looked to me like dead wood. I stopped.

Now, it's about to bloom again but is very legg-ey looking and I'd like to know if after it's done blooming if I can prune it down to make it "start again" and get it's shape back. But I don't know if it will grow again if I do this. The trunk is about 4" in diameter I'd say. I'd like to make it full again. It appears to flower off the green, new parts but everything I've read never talks about any more pruning than just removing the spent flowers.

What say you all about this? I can provide a picture if that will help. Thanks very much!!!

Comments (16)