SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phil3_gw

Valley Oak - Problematic Location

Phil3
10 years ago

Hello,
I have a potential problem with what I think is a young Valley Oak tree. The softly lobed leaves, the presence of a green gall (wasp) on a limb seem to indicate it is a Valley Oak, but the bark is smooth grey. Unlike what I read about oaks, this tree has grown incredibly rapidly. About 17' in just a few years. The base of the trunk is about 3-1/2" in diameter. The question is what should be done with it.

A fence separates our backyard from our neighbor�s backyard and the oak tree is growing on a slope in the neighbor�s backyard, about 3-1/2 feet from our dividing fence. I really don�t want the tree there. Given the growth rate and size this thing can reach, I am worried it will lift the fence, shade much of our property, and make a mess of our landscaping and should be removed. It will block some of our view. I e-mailed the neighbor saying it should be removed, but no response. I am confident the tree was not planted by the neighbor, as their backyard is a wreck, with no landscaping, a dying pine tree, etc. We have oak tree seedlings popping up everywhere, so no surprise this thing grew.

If the neighbor won�t do anything, I am not sure if I should really cut the tree back on my side or try to make the best of it as it looms over my yard (not yet landscaped, but hoped for some lawn where the tree would shade). Will the root system of this oak cause problems for my foundation which is about 37� feet away? Or landscaping that is inside the drip line?

Thanks,

Phil

Comments (13)