SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
white_van_man

Is my Vine still alive!

white_van_man
18 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have a few questions to ask about vines!!

I live in Toronto and don't have a garden as such, but do have a great rooftop patio with a trelis.

Last year I built 2 wooden containers, about 3 feet square and planted some vines to cover the trelis.

I asked at my local gardening center and they sold me 2 Five-leaf akebia vines, saying they would be hardy enough to survive the winter.

I had a great summer with them and tried to shelter them as much as I could from the cold (i.e. Burlap/straw etc..).

It's now almost June and I am seeing no growth from them what so ever. I was told if you scratched at the bark on a thick part of the trunk and saw green...it meant it was still alive. This is the case. I am now out of the country and instructed my girlfriend to cut back some of the obvioulsy dead bits at the end, hopefully to promote some new growth, but she says it's all dead!!

Should I begin to be seeing some greenery on this vine or am I being impatient??!!

Can anybody recommend a better vine that would withstand Canadian winters in a container?

Cheers

Alex

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH