SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elsch

how to design without it being a hodge podge?

elvie z9CA
14 years ago

Hi there everyone. After gardening a small city lot for many years I finally am moving to a quarter of an acre, part of that is a big backyard which is just a large square awaiting my plans.

My conundrum is I like to grow a lot of different plants, but want it to flow together rather than be a hodge podge. Having a more classic design will not afford me as much variety and I definitely prefer an informal style anyway; but I want it to be restful. They say planning it out on paper is the key, but I just can't get myself to do it, I like moving around the potted plants in the border , but still its hard to picture it all filled out.

I am especially partial to conifers, roses, and low water easy care shrubs and perrenials that thrive in CA. I am trying to find a way to design it to tie it all together with a bit of repetition(maybe dodoneas , variagated pittospourm placed every so often with a gray eding tying it together, but leaving enough room for me to plant my collection of roses and conifers and the native shrubs and dwarf citrus I want to grow ...

How can I fit my plants in yet have it seem like a non collectors garden?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting