SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

New Cyphostemma juttae arrived,.... now what?

Just delivered about 1 hour ago, was the specimen of Cyphostemma juttae that I ordered. It was shipped bare root, and the caudex is about the size of a cantaloupe melon. The plant is dormant,but the caudex is very hard, with no soft spots, and is very heavy for the size. Below the caudex are a few bent, twisted, roots about 3/8" - 1/2" thick, also hard, and stiff. I would say that there are very few hairy-looking "feeder" roots.

Tomorrow, I would like to get this plant into a 5 gallon pot full of a quick-draining mix.

QUESTION;

Do I water the plant after potting, or do I let the plant just sit there until it shows signs of breaking dormancy first, before I water sparingly. After potting, can I put it in full sun, dry? The plant came from California.

If I must cut/trim some broken roots, should I dust them with cinnamon powder, and wait for them to form a callus before potting?

Having never grown this plant, what kind of root system do these plants develop? Thick, sparse roots, or will fine feeder-roots also grow. Can roots be trimmed every few years to revive the root system?

Any help with this plant will be greatly appreciated. I would hate to lose this plant because of lousy culture on my part. I have grown Adeniums...can I treat the Cypho. the same way?

Frank

Comments (11)