SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Toxic?

birdsnblooms
16 years ago

Are 'all' parts of Brugmansia and Datura poisonous? I'm actually asking for a friend who would like to grow one or the other, but the problem is, she has two dogs..every so often her dogs decide plants look yummy and nibble..

I've heard both were toxic, but don't know if it's only certain parts of the plants or all..Thank you, Toni

Comments (16)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Hi Toni,
    All parts of brugs and daturas are toxic. Most animals won't mess with them. I grow brugs and daturas and have never had a problem with my dog or cats chewing on them.
    Karyn

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Do not know how toxic they are. My sheep eat a few leaves through the fence. They also eat tomato leaves but will not touch oleanders ???? Nature gave animal instincts. My dogs will no even bother them. The dogs will not mess with them.

Jim

• Related Discussions

Are green bamboo sticks toxic?

Q

Comments (5)
    A famous German(?) Paracelsus remarked "the poison is in the dosage". Remember several months back someone died of "water toxicity" after entering a water drinking contest sponsored by a radio show? Too much green just might be too much. Me, myself, personally, I think the trip to Lowes was probably more hazardous than using their product.
    ...See More

toxic plants...how toxic?

Q

Comments (1)
    Datura, monkshood, and castor bean are the ones that I've read are highly poisonous. A lot of other "toxic" plants may be bad for you, but a lot are irritants more than truly dangerous. I love angel's trumpet, but read that just a few seeds can be FATAL if ingested by children. So that one will have to wait until the kids are older. I'd be interested to hear from others too which ones are truly to be omitted from the garden with young kids.
    ...See More

Medley, Cisco, Sabai, The Futon Shop, or other Non-Toxic couches?

Q

Comments (4)
    I recently returned a Medley sofa, although with some reluctance. (I'd waited months longer than it was supposed to take, even in 2023.) The sofa to be appeared sturdy and well made, and I loved the velvet fabric I chose. My issues: it was quite a bit deeper than the dimensions listed online. My husband is 5'9", and he looked like a little kids trying to sit on the sofa. The back cushions were also very thin for such a deep couch. The other main issue was that the seat cushions, which were supposed to be flippable, were not. They had off center seams underneath each one. Customer service was nice, and they gave us out money back but kept the shipping despite the fact that the return was their fault. If there was any way i could have kept that sofa, believe me, I would have. Sofa shopping is hard. To answer your question, the sofa didn't have any off-gassing smells, but it smelled like Windex. I think it picked that up in the shipping truck.(?)
    ...See More

Suggestions for non toxic paint and sealant for inside cabinets?

Q

Comments (1)
    Shellac? Most paints and sealers are nontoxic once cured.
    ...See More
  • ruth_ann
    16 years ago

I have a new Boxer puppy who likes to chew on the old dried out stumps where I cut mine back to last fall. He hasn't gotten sick yet but I have tried to discourage him by placing pots now over those stumps. He doesn't seem to bother with the 'green' vegetation and even if he did , what is toxic to humans is not necessarily toxic to other animals. My Brug cuttings all get composted in the fall and I use that compost to fertilize all my gardens, including my veggies. It is the 'sap' in them that carries the toxins, not the cells themselves that are toxic.
    We eat tomatoes and Rhubarb yet both their leaves are toxic if eaten. A little common since goes a long way when dealing with plants and pets.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

All parts are suppposed to be toxic, including seeds. I have an amazon parrot that got into the datura seeds one year and ate several. Nothing happened at all. So I don't know about birds. A kitten we have chewed and swallowed some leaves and then threw them up but didnt seem to have any other effects. My puppy tries to eat everything and likes to pull up plants out of the pots but for some reason doesn't touch the brugs or dats- not sure why as he eats (or rolls in )anything else that is disgusting LOL!
    ~SJN

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    Karyn, I think it depends on the pet and their age..For instance, they've supposedly proven Poinsettia's are safe if eaten..A newsman ate a leaf on tv to prove they're harmless..Yet, my friend had 4 pure white kittens, (5 wks old) who got in a Poinsettia plant, ate it then all died. So, I'm assuming it depends on the age and immune syetem.
    Jim, do your sheep nibble on the leaves? As far as I know, Oleander is supposed to be the worse as far as toxitity goes. I think they're fantastic plants, but refuse growing them because I have birds and worry they'll get into it.
    Ruth, do you grow Brugs outside in Canada? Yr round? Or do you mean Datura? You've made an excellent point about tomatos and Rhubarb..Doesn't the same apply to potatoes? Since they're in the Sol family?
    Oh SJN, I'd be panicking if my birds landed on toxic seeds/plants..LOL..Though I've a house filled w/plants, many poisonous, my birds mainly stay in one room, though every so often, if startled, they'll fly in another room. (I need to do wing clipping)
    LOL, you know how puppies are..they get in all types of jams..LOL.
    I grew Datura in front, and my old indoor-outdoor cat, who loved nibbling on grass, wouldn't touch other plants. But like SJN's puppy, Halloween (cat) would bask on plants in the sun..He'd make me sooo nervous, especially when it came to the daturas..though he never ate them..
    My friend, the one I started this post for, is in a dilemma..Her dogs eat any plant she sets in the ground..and I mean everything..she just planted a few plants outside, and not a day went by before they got into them, including a rather expensive Plumeria. Of course, they not only devoured the foliage, but managed to take several bites out of the trunk, goodbye Plumeria. She ended up setting up a wire fence to divide plants from dogs, but her Dane, and u guys know how big they are, if willing to, can overstep that fence in a flash..
    Anyway, thanks for your help..Just finding this post got me in the mood to look for datura to plant outside..LOL..
    Again, Thanks...Toni

• jeep461
    16 years ago

I have one little male and I watched him today. He ate about 4 leaves about 15 inches long. He was fine tonight when I went down to feed them. I suspect he is a little doper though. He also nibbles on my wild passion flowers. I know those are strong. I will watch the side gate. I suspect he is running with a gang at night. I think he just comes back for a free plant buzz. He even nibbles on my heavenly blue morning glories.

Jim

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Jim your lamb's a stoner! Is it that cute little guy you posted pics of? He looked like he would be a problem child. lol
    Karyn

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim, I'd love seeing pics of your sheep..you are so lucky..
    Is there a problem eating Passionvine? Never heard the story...is it only wild passionvine or tropical too?
    LOl, your lamn is a doper..Toni

• gardengrove_ac
    16 years ago

I'd just like to add a few things. For the most part, what's toxic to dogs is toxic to humans, which is why pharm. development tests rats, then dogs, then primates before human trials. Cats don't metabolize toxins as quickly as most other mammals, so things that are only mildly harmful to other animals can cause organ failure in cats...then again felines tend to be fickle enough to not eat random plants. From what I hear sheep, goats and rabbits aren't too greatly affected by Scopolamine or the other tropanes, but cows and horses can be killed from relatively small amounts. Its pretty common in late summer to see cattle pastures in this area stripped of everything but very well fertilized stands of jimson weed.

Toni, BTW, many of the members of the passionflower family (including the common ones like P. incarnata) contain different levels of harmala alkaloids. These act as mild MOAIs in the human brain, and depending on the species and dose, some of them are sedatives/hypnotics or can increase the action of neurotransmitters or triptamine drugs. The action is very slight though, and mostly passionvine just makes a delcious herbal tea before bed.

Peace,
    Nate

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Yeah he is a stoner. I have babies everywhere. 2 young lambs had babies I did not know they were pregnant. One was 9 months old and the other about 6 in the last week. Maybe eating brugs has a increase in fertility. My passion vines are very potent. 1/10 of a leaf will take a back pain away. Mine are wild and grow everywhere. Try a google search for passion vine uses. Lots of medical info.

My brug are all putting on buds. Soon I will have blooms everywhere. It is a happy day here. I have found that one in a hundred plants. It is a young super grimaldi. This will proably be my source of cuttings for next year. Only time will tell we have 7 more growing months before the 1st freeze.

The heat is on,

Jim

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nate, what does MOAI stand for? It's too bad I don't know the difference between plants cause I love herbal teas..drink 2 cups before bed..Maybe I can check via a search engine to see what advice they have..thanks.

Jim, I'd love seeing pics of your sheep..they sound adorable..and now two are preggers? What's the normal age sheep give birth? Months sound sooo young..LOL..
    You should patton your idea that Brugs are fertility drugs, and advertize on those darn Paid Programming Ads shown late at night..LOL..
    If you've pics of sheep/lambs, don't want to put u through extra work, available, I'd love seeing them..Toni

• gardengrove_ac
    16 years ago

Toni, MAOI stands for Monoamine oxidase inhibitor. Pretty much your body uses different enzymes to break down chemicals we ingest or produce. Enzymes work like keys which the body can use over and over before they need replaces. An inhibitor of MAO (the enzyme) gums up the enzyme so it doesn't work. They used to be used as a treatment for depression, because they stop the brain from breaking down seratonin, dopamine, and the other neurotrasmitterrs, but the powerful ones can be dangerous. They come with dietary restrictions against foods like cheese and wine because your body can't break down the compounds found in them, build up in the blood and can cause dangerous fluctuations in blood-pressure...OF course Passionflower is a very weak MAOI and there is some debate if some species contain any beta-Carboline compounds.
    (Sorry, there wasn't really a shorter way to explain)
    Peace,
    Nate

• jeep461
    16 years ago

Take a look at what I met while thinking of moving a bug lite last night. I just plugged in my camera a second ago. I was shocked . It was real dark. It looked like a coral snake to me at 1st. Then I did a little research and maybe it is a king or milk snake. Anyone know???

{{gwi:491700}}

P. Incarnata has a bunch of medical research behind it. As always use a little and see. Minor use of Passion flowers has not enough MOAI to effect you. I study plant toxicology and ethnobotanicals for fun. It also helps with plantings and animals.

Yeah babies from babies. I will take some pics of them maybe tomorrow. Nate it is good to have your knowledge here.

Jim

• karyn1
    16 years ago

If I remember the saying correctly it's red next to black friend of Jack, red next to yellow will kill a fellow. They are both beautiful snakes.
    Karyn

• gardengrove_ac
    16 years ago

Jim, there are four true species of king/milk snakes in your area of Texas, and a good number of sub-species or debated species. I'm going to take a stab that your snake is Lampropeltis triangulum gentilis, the Central Plains Milksnake, because its more common in east Texas then Lampropeltis alterna....Of course I wouldn't take my word for it, I'm nothing more than an an interested amateur with Herpatology, but that's a beautiful specimen regarless of what sub-species it is.
    Peace,
    Nate
    http://www.californiaherps.com/noncal/misc/miscsnakes/pages/l.t.gentilis.html

• mdahms1979
    16 years ago

In the book Brugmansia and Datura published by Firefly it is mentioned that a species of duck found near Mazatlan Mexico is rendered toxic for human consumption during the months associated with the ripening of Datura creatocaua seed pods. The ducks eat the seeds and foilage of the Datura plants and eating their meat is said to produce symptoms similar to having been posioned or drugged.

Mike

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH