SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prius2ny

Medley, Cisco, Sabai, The Futon Shop, or other Non-Toxic couches?

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking for a "non-toxic" couch that either uses Certifoam, latex, or other non-polyester materials. I came across Medley, Cisco, The Futon Shop, Sabai as potential sofas to be considered, but can't seem to find any reviews.

Wondering if anyone here has ever owned any of these couches or have used Certi-Foam.

They don't have a showroom in my neighborhood so it's a bit of a risk to order it without trying. Hope to get some input.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    2 years ago

I would never buy a sofa on line without sitting on it and with all the restarints you are looking for I would probably go Medley with the good return policy at least.

prius2ny thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 7 months ago

Hi! I can’t believe you didn’t get more responses to this! I’m looking at some of those same brands- can I ask what you ended up going with and if you’re happy with it? Thanks!

• 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I recently returned a Medley sofa, although with some reluctance. (I'd waited months longer than it was supposed to take, even in 2023.) The sofa to be appeared sturdy and well made, and I loved the velvet fabric I chose.

My issues: it was quite a bit deeper than the dimensions listed online. My husband is 5'9", and he looked like a little kids trying to sit on the sofa. The back cushions were also very thin for such a deep couch. The other main issue was that the seat cushions, which were supposed to be flippable, were not. They had off center seams underneath each one.

Customer service was nice, and they gave us out money back but kept the shipping despite the fact that the return was their fault. If there was any way i could have kept that sofa, believe me, I would have. Sofa shopping is hard.

To answer your question, the sofa didn't have any off-gassing smells, but it smelled like Windex. I think it picked that up in the shipping truck.(?)

• 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I have used Cisco Home (Cisco Brothers). I used to live near one of their showrooms in Los Angeles and have met the owners. Nice people. I like that the furniture is made in the USA.

I have bought 2 fabric sofas, 1 leather sofa, 4 chairs, 1 bench, 1 pouf, 1 coffee table, 1 side table and 1 upholstered bed. All from Cisco purchased between 2011 - 2017.

We moved and still use all the pieces, except for the coffee table (as I had room for a larger one in the new house, so I gave it to a friend, who is still using it) and the leather sofa (that still looked great after being used in a kids playroom, but didn't work in the new house). The 2 fabric sofas have been in use for 13 years and still look good.

I would never buy a sofa without sitting on a sample. They also sell through other furniture stores and designers, so check their website for any local resellers who might have some display pieces in their shop.