SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bearstate

Sure'n it tis a green green Garden City we have!

bearstate
16 years ago

Many folks don't realize it, but before San Jose became 'The Capital of Silicon Valley', its nickname was 'The Garden City' and it was 'The Garden Valley'.

I set out on Monday to find one of The Garden City's most notable mansions. A Mansion in Paradise, for sure, the Hayes Mansion has played a major historical role in the area.

{{gwi:523025}}

The upkeep and maintenance today are a joint project of the City of San Jose and the Renaissance Conferance Company. And that is what the mansion is all about today, a retreat for big business to go, relaxe and plan their strategies. But not just business. The Hayes Mansion may also be a place for political elements to go and plan their strategies. Thus the Hayes Mansion, while a California Historical landmark of notable interest does not try to attract attention or aspire to be a tourist attraction. If you go, I would recommend dressing up a bit so that you fit in. I was lucky and had been wandering about downtown SJO in shirt and tie and later wound up taking the remaining moments of Monday to tour it. Security guards ultimately asked me if I was guest when I took a few photos. It was OK, so long as I didn't photograph people.

Oddly enough, the Hayes Mansion/Edenvale Estate are within walking distance of my front door and in 20 years of life in the valley, I had not until recently even known of its existance. This is no Montalvo or Filoli. It's a beautiful mansion to be sure, but ... not much of a garden spot, except that abundant and fully blooming Orange Bird Of Paradise are thickly planted about its numerous guest suites.

{{gwi:523027}}

{{gwi:523029}}

{{gwi:523030}}

{{gwi:523032}}

{{gwi:523036}}

{{gwi:523038}}

{{gwi:523041}}

{{gwi:523044}}

{{gwi:523047}}

{{gwi:523050}}

{{gwi:523053}}

{{gwi:523056}}

{{gwi:523057}}

{{gwi:523058}}

The Mansion today is mostly dining rooms and suites for the guests. There's a lower level passage that connects to some of the suites and ... a full sized fitness spa, completely rigged with numerous exercise machines.

Ok, so earlier in downtown San Jose, running around in shirt and tie, camera in hand, I found this little gem ...

{{gwi:523060}}

There are many old Victorians near downtown San Jose, some nicely kept like this one and some in bitter decay. Such wonderful garden spots each might make, but I loathe those telephone and power cables that mar their beauty.

Most of downtown SJO is however a Garden of Steel and Concrete. Gosh, I cropped and cleaned up these photos with Adobe Photoshop 7.0 ...

{{gwi:523062}}

{{gwi:523063}}

{{gwi:523064}}

Steel Hummngbirds ...

{{gwi:523065}}

{{gwi:523066}}

Guadalupe River Park ...

{{gwi:523067}}

{{gwi:523068}}

A steel catapillar ...

{{gwi:523069}}

San Jose's City Hall Rotunda reminds of the Lick Observatory, surrounded by a strange Japanese Rock Garden ...

{{gwi:523070}}

And then there's the HP Pavillion, home of the San Jose Sharks Hockey Team. This is Sharks Territory!

{{gwi:523071}}

{{gwi:523072}}

{{gwi:523073}}

{{gwi:523074}}

And so what's next in the Garden City?

Yep ...

{{gwi:523075}}

Time for some fine Garden City Dining ...

{{gwi:523076}}

Tied House serves a variety of Burgers, a number of entres and ... of course beer, eight varieties, no less ...

{{gwi:523077}}

No! I did not drink all those beers ... only the ones I truly liked! And Tied house has a beer garden out back ...

{{gwi:523078}}

But hey, this is March 12th! Five more days and we'll all be Emerald Islanders! Let's shift down the street two doors ...

{{gwi:523079}}

Now this place boasts that it's the only true Irish Pub downtown and has a very wonderful Iris brew on tap to prove it. Erin go Brah!

And San Jose, The Garden City Capital of Silicon Valley is ever up on its etiquette. When I visited Hong Kong, let me tell you, it was a far different story ...

{{gwi:523080}}

When you leave that pub on St. Patty's, relief is but a few steps away. But notice that sign "Stopping is a part of Driving." And the other one ... "No Parking Any Time"?

The Garden City also has a sense of humor.

When Monday rolls around, paint your Garden City Green.

Irish Eyes are Smiling. :)

{{gwi:523030}}

{{gwi:523032}}

{{gwi:523036}}

{{gwi:523038}}

{{gwi:523041}}

{{gwi:523044}}

{{gwi:523047}}

{{gwi:523050}}

{{gwi:523053}}

{{gwi:523056}}

{{gwi:523057}}

{{gwi:523058}}

The Mansion today is mostly dining rooms and suites for the guests. There's a lower level passage that connects to some of the suites and ... a full sized fitness spa, completely rigged with numerous exercise machines.

Ok, so earlier in downtown San Jose, running around in shirt and tie, camera in hand, I found this little gem ...

{{gwi:523060}}

There are many old Victorians near downtown San Jose, some nicely kept like this one and some in bitter decay. Such wonderful garden spots each might make, but I loathe those telephone and power cables that mar their beauty.

Most of downtown SJO is however a Garden of Steel and Concrete. Gosh, I cropped and cleaned up these photos with Adobe Photoshop 7.0 ...

{{gwi:523062}}

{{gwi:523063}}

{{gwi:523064}}

Steel Hummngbirds ...

{{gwi:523065}}

{{gwi:523066}}

Guadalupe River Park ...

{{gwi:523067}}

{{gwi:523068}}

A steel catapillar ...

{{gwi:523069}}

San Jose's City Hall Rotunda reminds of the Lick Observatory, surrounded by a strange Japanese Rock Garden ...

{{gwi:523070}}

And then there's the HP Pavillion, home of the San Jose Sharks Hockey Team. This is Sharks Territory!

{{gwi:523071}}

{{gwi:523072}}

{{gwi:523073}}

{{gwi:523074}}

And so what's next in the Garden City?

Yep ...

{{gwi:523075}}

Time for some fine Garden City Dining ...

{{gwi:523076}}

Tied House serves a variety of Burgers, a number of entres and ... of course beer, eight varieties, no less ...

{{gwi:523077}}

No! I did not drink all those beers ... only the ones I truly liked! And Tied house has a beer garden out back ...

{{gwi:523078}}

But hey, this is March 12th! Five more days and we'll all be Emerald Islanders! Let's shift down the street two doors ...

{{gwi:523079}}

Now this place boasts that it's the only true Irish Pub downtown and has a very wonderful Iris brew on tap to prove it. Erin go Brah!

And San Jose, The Garden City Capital of Silicon Valley is ever up on its etiquette. When I visited Hong Kong, let me tell you, it was a far different story ...

{{gwi:523080}}

When you leave that pub on St. Patty's, relief is but a few steps away. But notice that sign "Stopping is a part of Driving." And the other one ... "No Parking Any Time"?

The Garden City also has a sense of humor.

When Monday rolls around, paint your Garden City Green.

Irish Eyes are Smiling. :)

Comments (8)