SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dicot_gw

Picture thread: your yard now

dicot
14 years ago

A little yellowing here and there from too much water for some natives & xerics, but the frequent rain is a big boon otherwise. You can see the black sage in the foreground is deciding whether to take off or just give up the ghost as the natives do when they get saturated roots. The front is chaotic, as we've been just trying to outgrow the bermuda grass bed by bed.

{{gwi:137889}}

{{gwi:22412}}

The peas are the best crop right now, since the tangerines are gone. Just building a new raised bed from cinder blocks that will hold this year's tomatoes, then maybe a lime tree later on, which is very exciting. The soil mix for the new bed is 60% loamy coastal clay, 30% well composted organic matter (mainly from yard trimmings)and 10% sand, with some chelated iron, blood & bone meal and watered with fish emulsion, which I'm hoping will give me a better tomato yield than I've been getting lately. Sweet 100s and Gardeners Delight are what I'm germinating, but I might buy a few starts of bigger heirloom types when it warms up.

Comments (31)