SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Landscaping in stages - how to minimize cost & disruption

gwlolo
11 years ago

We have a fairly large & mature yard but we need to redo the landscaping as we did a major remodel that included new water lines etc. It would be better for us $$ wise if we do the landscaping in stages. Can you help me figure out the right way to sequence this to minimize upfront cost but also disruption. The worst thing would be if something we delayed to a future date ended up ripping up or destroying what was done in an earlier stage. Here are the high level things we want to do and I have sorted this in what I thought was a logical order. Please advice if somethings are better done together and earlier than later

1. Completely new irrigation for main areas (lawn, veg bed, flower beds)
2. New irrigation for additional areas which are currently not landscaped or have no irrigation (hand watered currently). I was thinking to provision a irrigation tapping point)
3. New sod
4. Vegetable bed (14x14) prepare the soil, add in manure and compost, make paths
5. Fencing for vegetable bed
6. Plant fruit trees
7. Plant berry & fruit vines (kiwi, grape, raspberry, blackberry, currants)
8. Two new beds for perennials (flowering, foliage and some edible perennials)
9. Remove old juniper and liquid amber

1. Plant new gingko in the same spot as liquid amber being removed
  2. Landscape lighting (my landscsape guy prefers low voltage over solar) main area (paths, a couple of main plantings)
  3. Decomposed granite in the sidewalk area (this is currently dirt and gets muddy in rain and is very dusty in summer)
  4. Decomosed granite under some redwood trees. This is just a big mess of leaf droppings here and I want to be able to use the area for kids to play and be able to sweep the leaf droppings away
  5. New wire trellis on brick fence wall for espaliered fruit trees and flowering vines like clematis
  6. Garden shed

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths