SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael__ames

Bougainvillea/Star Jasmine still dormant? Or dead?

michael_ames
12 years ago

I just moved to Southern California this past year, so I'm having trouble understanding seasons/growing times, etc.

I know that some things go dormant for the winter months, but now that spring seems to have arrived (wildflowers and fruit trees in bloom, new leaves on fig trees, etc.) I'm concerned about my bougainvillea and star jasmine plants, which show no signs of waking up.

Both are young plants I bought in the fall - each 2 ft tall, planted in 15" diameter pots, in a well-draining mix. They bloomed for a week or two in October but then went dormant - the jasmine looks unchanged, and the bougainvillea has lost some leaves and developed some brittle/woody parts.

I gave them a boost of fertilizer this week and a good, deep watering, but they still seem in stasis. Is it still too cold at night for them to grow?

They each get at least 6 hours of direct sun/day, mostly morning and early afternoon.

Do I just need to be more patient? Or is intervention needed?

Also - anyone have any recommendations on books/websites I can read to learn more about gardening in this climate?

Thanks!

Comments (5)