SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldarwen_gw

How about passiflora, creeping fig, cypress mulch, and camelias?

eldarwen
17 years ago

Hello all,

These are mostly unrelated questions, so help on any part of them will be appreciated.

I recently moved back to California, into a house and garden that has seen only basic upkeep for the past 10 years. I am really enjoying the garden and it's possibilities.

1) Creeping fig - I am thinking of using it to cover a cinder block wall. I was considering using the varigated type, since I've heard it's less? How many plants would I need for 150' wall, 6' high? Will it interfere with a Camelia 100' away? *And* how often will this need to be pruned, and will be constantly fighting to keep it from coming up elsewhere?

2) Passiflora - very similar questions to the above. I love the flowers, but am worried about planting a plant that *must* be trimmed every 3 weeks. Are there varieties that are more sedate in costal CA? I assume that it will not die back at all in the winter here, since we rarely get near freezing?

3) I recently heard about cypress muclh - which interests me because of the anti termite properties. (I need to tent the house, I also know I have termites in dead wood that didn't get cut off). Does it work to hinder termites? Is there any that is environmentally sound?

4) Camellias - how large of an area would the roots of a 60 year old Camellia cover? Do Cameillias have dormant periods where I could use round-up? (bermuda grass problems). I'm hoping to impact the Camellias as little as possible in the upcoming garden renovations, but I am also set on making certain changes.

Thanks in advance for help on any of those! :-)

Comments (13)