SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_p_rd

frugal landscaping ideas

kelly_p_rd
17 years ago

We need frugal ideas for a pet/kid friendly backyard. We want to buy the kids a puppy soon but don't really know what kind of yard is dog-friendly. We don't have grass yet and we aren't sure we want it because of the cost of water, installing sprinkler system, buying a lawnmower, dog digging holes, etc. The idea is to fix the part behind the house this summer, and the side yard next spring/summer.

We're living on the inland area of the central coast of CA (extreme temperatures) in a townhouse complex, so we have a small yard to work with. Our backyard and side-yard need a complete makeover. Directly behind the house we have a wooden deck that is sinking or broken in several areas (thanks, previous owners!) so we want to get rid of it. DH wants to put in a concrete patio with a cover or pergola for shade since it gets over 100 here in the summer. He thinks he can do the concrete by himself, but I don't know.... First he has to prove that he can remove the deck. ;) He's a computer programmer with no landscaping experience, but he is handy when he sets his mind to it.

I have a couple of questions, please bear with me!

1. Is concrete generally the least expensive alternative for a patio? Or are brick pavers or flagstone a cheaper alternative? The old owners left some nice flagstones that I would like to use. I'm confused on setting the stones in sand or concrete, can't decide what is right for our space.

2. Stump grinding--is it a do-it-yourself kind of job? Expensive to have it done professionally? We have at least 2 stumps that need removal and I was just reading that you really shouldn't till it into the soil because of nitrogen removal. I don't know what kind of trees they were. What if we just leave it laying in a pile in the side yard for a year while we decide what to do with that space? Will it damage the soil if we eventually get sod or plant a garden there?

This is all so confusing. Everything I read just brings up more questions and stress about the cost of it all. Plus, gardening lingo is like learning a whole new language!!!

Thanks,

Newbie in CA

Comments (17)