SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinky_gardener

What camellias are happiest in the sun?

stinky-gardener
14 years ago

Hi! I have a bed of five camellias next to my driveway. Original owner planted them under a huge pine tree about 20 yrs. ago. When we bought the house 4 yrs. ago, removed the pine tree & now have planted a crepe myrtle which is still fairly small. Two of the camellias need to go, I believe, because they haven't tolerated the abundance of sunshine cast upon them in recent years. The other three seem to be o.k. They're not outstanding specimens, but are o.k. (to my untrained eye, that is!)

I would like to leave the space blank, but my dh insists that we get two more camellias. He just insists. Not roses, not anything else, just camellias. "But camellias don't like all this sun" I whine like a typical wife. "I want them. It was your idea to take away the pine tree, so it's your fault that they died. I want two more camellias." I didn't know it was soley MY idea to remove the pine tree, but I guess I've been set straight. Well then, what's a girl to do? I need to find some kind of camellia that will tolerate our brutal summers, or my dh will not be a happy camper (& it will be MY fault!) ANY ideas? Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions