SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Best apple or pear (dwarf or espalier) for Contra Costa County

kristimama
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm near Walnut Creek in Contra Costa County and I have a couple questions.

I'm a total gardening newbie, but we recently did some remodeling that required removing a very old but prolific Sonoma plum tree. It often produced fruit every year and I'm starting to think through how I could plant another fruit (pear, plum, or apple) in a smaller spot in my yard.

So, FIRST question is... I have a 7' section wall on my house (between 2 windows) that faces due West (i.e. nice sunlight but pretty extreme heat during our hot summers).

Would this even be a good spot for a fruit tree? If so, what is a good tree to espalier?

(And I'm already putting citrus in other spots in the yard so I was hoping to do something other than citrus in that spot.)

SECOND question about another corner of my yard... facing more South/SouthWest... we have this scraggly volunteer crabapple tree with terrible bitter apples... and it is sort of falling down the slope because the contractor's used that corner to stage their materials. I want to tear it out and put in a full size apple tree there. Are there some varieties of apples that do better in Norcal?

Thanks!

Comments (3)