SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malleeaustralia

Why do we love Bromeliads?

malleeaustralia
14 years ago

Is it just 'cause they're beautiful works of nature or 'cause they feed my addictive/obsessive nature?? Hmmm...

I don't have any great insights into growing broms or rare broms/my own hybrids to show (yet) so instead I thought I'd share why I fell in love with the bromeliad family about a year ago and perhaps hear how others fell into the addiction.

Firstly, pineapples - YUM!!

Secondly, I have always been interested in pottering in the garden - however I am very much a weeder/hope for the best type gardener rather than a systematic one.For me just spending time weeding is very meditative/theraputic and a great way to get up close to the plants and appreciate the changes in light etc. I can spend hours weeding and generally tinkering and have done so for years but don't ask me names of plants or how to grow then...If they look good I forget the name and if they survive - well that's how to grow them. I have always had a fondness for foliage plants, particularly variegated, random coloured etc. I have also had a bit of an interest in cacti/succulents as I like plants that I can cut a bit off and grow another - great way to enjoy gardening, expand the garden on a budget and share with friends. My experience with raising from seed has been largely limited to vegetables.

With those likes its no surprise I would eventually find bromeliads. There has been a couple of untagged (fairly average) broms in the garden that have been left largely to look after themselves. During a weeding mission last summer I rediscovered some of them and thought there must be something to them since they'd survived. One which was tagged (Bilb Tigrina X Horrinda) got divided and so being hardy, self propagatable (?) and foliage plants I decided to explore more - hello internet!

Wow - yep, there are a lot of broms out there and on the internet and so many colours/patterns - intriguing. I should mention here why the coloured/patterned Neos caught my eye immediately. I have a number of eye problems (can't see out of one eye and blind in the other) one of which is a haemoraging retina. This is very hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. Not only does it bring a general loss of vision (added to the existing probs with cataracts and glaucoma etc) but it creates, well a hallucinatory effect. It's a bit like just having a camera flash go off in yr eyes (but constantly) or looking in one of the distorted parking mirrors or keyholes after staring at the sun for a while... Um, basically constantly evolving flashing colours/patterns/dots/lines etc in front of me (like a camera sun flare) plus everything in central vision is warped or wavy - straight lines appear bowed and dijointed (not unlike some patterning on foliage Vr.). I don't say this to whinge but because the effects are not dissimilar to those colours/patterns displayed on Neos. Also, the acuteness of my eye conditions can be dependant on refraction so the beauty and variety of the refraction of light through brom leaves is something that appeals and I can relate too. For these reasons, spending time with my broms is comforting as they allow my retinal hallucinations to melt into the leaves somewhat...

Of course, you don't need to be 3/4s blind to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of bromeliads - could probably appreciate more with 20/20 vision but that's why to me they are a bit of an "in-joke".

The vast amount of broms to accumulate also appeals to someone like myself with an addictive personality - the good thing is with all you hybridists doing fantastic work my addiction should be feed for years to come and won't be ever completed so will always give me something to chase. Also there is so much to learn about bromeliads in general from they're habitat and consequent care in the garden through to the genetics involved in hybridisation. Another aspect of my dodgy eyes is I can no longer read books but with a bigish screen I can read the computer for shortish bursts so finding this forum has been a major boost for my bromeliad education so a big thanks to all those who contribute.

Currently I am at the care stage but hope to embark on hybridisation in the future if the eyes allow it - if I don't I'll be happy enough to grow out the seeds the ants etc pollinate for me and share the glory with them!

I have started my first trials at seed raising and thanks to the generosity of members here (in providing seed and info) I hope to start some more this week - now armed with more knowledge. Will be exciting watching and nurturing them along the way and if the results are equal to the learning I'll be happy. Raising bromeliads from seed should also be a good lesson in patience too...

So yeah, I guess it is 'cause of their nature as much as mine...

Well, thats my ramble - would love to hear why/how others fell in love with bromeliads and perhaps what joys/experiences they have got out of it...

(and now a few random pics from the garden - still very much working out which area suits which brom best while we change seasons)

have a good one folks

Kristan

{{gwi:523997}}

{{gwi:524000}}

{{gwi:524002}}

{{gwi:524005}}

{{gwi:524007}}

{{gwi:524010}}

{{gwi:524013}}

{{gwi:524016}}

{{gwi:524018}}

{{gwi:524020}}