SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Help with Desert Rose seedling care please

Hi, having not only been totally surprised with having sprouted my DR seeds, but with their speed also, (planted 17th, sprouted by 22nd) I am now seeking some expert advice on their aftercare. Today, I have potted up 4 so far, the others are not above compost level at present but the remaining 6 look promising too.

Perhaps I have done this the wrong way round, I should have researched it all first, then had a go, but I can't resist the challenge certain plants are for me here in the UK. Plus the added 'I grew this from seed/cutting myself' gives one more errr 'street cred' than buying an established plant from the garden centre!...Y'all agree?? BTW...Hubby thinks I've lost the plot, (Paypal account is in his name..keeps asking what are you trying now??!!)

I used the same perlite/grit/cacus mix/regular potting compost in equal quantities that I germinated them in and still have it very moist. They have a clear plastic propagator cover over them and I put them in our sunniest window to green-up having sprouted in the depths of the dark airing cupboard. (however, today the sun is not sunny at all, it's raining!) I do have the greenhouse and that is kept around 10 degrees at night but relies on the heat of the sun during the day for warmth.

I would love to be able to get even ONE to grow into a recognisable DR, flowers I realise would be a extra bonus having seen my first and only flowering DR in Bangkok, but I don't suspect I could ever get that far! but I have made a start anyway!.....what are my chances folks?...heat/food/water requirements/compost etc, etc, all advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Gill.

Here's the proof..

{{gwi:525207}}

Hoping to hear from someone, Gill.

Comments (3)