SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macthayer

I Need to Really Whack Back my Jade

macthayer
16 years ago

I didn't know I was abusing my Jade until after reading some posts on this forum. I have a Jade that is about 14 years old, has never been pruned, and is about 5 feet in diameter and nearly 6 feet tall (and that's just the plant - not including the container). I thought it was lovely because it was so full and thick and had many lovely limbs hanging over the sides. It's a very symmetrical plant. However, a "before and after" photo on your site convinced me that I was being mean to my lovely plant -- putting too much stress on it. The other matter, of course, is I have no clue as to how I would ever re-pot it ( you should have seen me the last time I did it about 2 years ago -- WOW what a chore!) Anyway, I would like to save the leaves from the trimmed branches to start new plants to give out as Christmas presents. What is the best way to remove the leaf from the Jade plant in order to get it to sprout? I had repotted one much smaller jade, and a leaf just fell off, and I noticed about a month later that it was just lying in my potting tray, and it had developed a small jade plant -- amazing! So I potted it up. But then I trimmed back that same plant (the stems wanted so badly to bend over -- too much water and fertilizer and too little sun, I think - all of which I've changed) The stems were so soft and the leaves I peeled off don't seem to be doing anything - they're not putting out new growth. Is there a trick to removing leaves to they'll grow new plants? Do they have to just "fall off" the branch versus being removed?

When I'm done, I'll send you before and after photos of what I did to my gigantic Jade. Thanks in advance!

MacThayer

Comments (2)