SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monique_ca

It's SNOWING!!

Monique_CA
18 years ago

Not just a few flakes, it is snowing HARD!!! I am here in the Sierra foothills lower than Placerville, around 1500'. So much for my plants, que sera sera!!! Anyone else getting snow??? I'm hoping that I get to take a photo in the morning of snow on my daffs...

Comments (50)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Snow doesn't necessarily mean the death of plants... unless you are growing tropicals! Just enjoy! :o)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

You know, the news just showed it snowing downtown??? but it didn't snow at my house which is usually cooler.

• Related Discussions

it's SNOWING! cool! 42 degrees and snowing!

Q

Comments (8)
    Somehow Toronto missed the big storms that hit the US last week - I was sure we would get it when New York did. Last winter we had our biggest snow storm of the year the day spring break started - many people were stuck at the Toronto airport for 3 or 4 days - and to say that we received our heaviest snowfall says something because there was no where to put it. I am expecting a huge storm some time over the coming weeks - so far not in forecast, but it will happen. We have had too much snow this winter already.
    ...See More

ACK!! It's snowing AGAIN!

Q

Comments (8)
    Skip coming here, it's pouring. I scurried around this morning and did a little pickup, dressed, talked to a former neighbor who has been ill, took care of some bookwork for DH. Started for the door to do some spring garden cleanup and - rain. Pouring down rain. It hasn't let up in the last 3 hours now. It was forecast for tonight, not when it started, before noon today.
    ...See More

It's Snowing Country Girl Mums ...

Q

Comments (9)
    Quarzon, I'm not positive on the ID on my mums either. They were passed along at a swap several years ago and looked more like 'country girl' than anything else I could find on the internet. Like yours mine are in full sun and get watered, but they never have dead foliage. They are in pretty good soil as I used to grow roses there and I do use a lot of mulch around the roots. I hope yours improve with time. They do put on quite a show in the fall and have a few flowers intermittently through spring and summer.
    ...See More

It's snowing, so I made mozzarella stuffed meatballs!

Q

Comments (18)
    I was lazy so went to the small market in town and got soup from their deli. It was ham and bean but not very good. Way too salty and mostly broth. I fished out as many beans and veggies as I could, now I have a container of all ham broth. Which makes me think suddenly that I should have frozen it instead of letting it sit out all this time! oh well. Since I didn't eat much soup, I started to pick later. First an egg salad sandwich, then a bowl of ice cream. And I'm so thirsty from the ham/bean soup I'll be drinking water all night.
    ...See More
  • bejay9_10
    18 years ago

Would you believe - I'm down here near San Diego - no snow here, but my cell phone woke me in the middle of the night - (weather watch), actually about 3:30 a.m. to tell me that "snow" was in the forecast.

Don't know how they managed to mix me up with you northern Ca. folks, but anyway, I hope the best for your tropicals - would like to see some rain here - but not frozen please, as my apples, almonds, grapes are in bloom!

Sigh!!!

Bejay

• jenn
    18 years ago

Enjoy it while it lasts!! No snow on our local mountains with this storm.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    18 years ago

I am near the grapevine and it got snow last night or late yesterday.

• bfreeman_sunset20
    18 years ago

heathen, where do you live in zone 10 with snow?

• calpat
    18 years ago

We've had intermittent rain with some snow all day, but nothing sticks to ground. Fortunately I've got all my seedlings in the little green house. But you're right, it's cold out there.

• wanda
    18 years ago

No snow on the valley floor in San Jose, but here's the view of the foothills (about 1500 feet) in front of my house yesterday.

{{gwi:509411}}

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

bFreeman, I didn't have snow at MY house... I think there was snow in Sacramento... zone 10a, according to the USDA zone map, goes down to 30º(I had thought it was 32º). I have never seen it drop down at my house past 32º and it has only reached there maybe an hour or two for years.
    Sacramento has many little pockets of different zones... depending on how close to the river, or whether you are on a little hill or valley...

• kerrican2001
    18 years ago

I was driving through San Jose yesterday and saw the snow on Mt. Hamilton as well. Pretty beautiful! Actually, since we've had some breeze and some cloud cover, we've not really seemed to have any serious freezing weather at sea level, thank God. I did see frost in Orinda driving on Highway 24 yesterday morning around 8 AM, but our Walnut Creek garden still looks great -- bananas are looking green, bougies are blooming, hibiscus is nice and shrubby. I would hate to have one hard frost at the tail end of winter, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But considering everything has been blooming for weeks, with flowering plum about over now, almonds in the middle of their bloom, lots of ornamental trees blossoming, acacias done already, what does this do to those plants?

• soggy6
    18 years ago

{{gwi:509414}}

Hey Monique,

Snow in El Dorado Hills, can you believe it? Some of the kids at our elementary school came out early Sat. morning and built a new mascot.

• jenn
    18 years ago

I might be able to see if there's snow in our foothills, if only it weren't for these danged trees in our neighbors' yard!! You can see a tiny bit of the hills in the lower left corner.

{{gwi:509417}}

• jenn
    18 years ago

Wanda, I just realized the paradox of your photo -- a palm tree and snow! That snow looks barely higher than your house.

• toyon
    18 years ago

I think there was snow in Sacramento... zone 10a, according to the USDA zone map, goes down to 30º(I had thought it was 32º). I have never seen it drop down at my house past 32º and it has only reached there maybe an hour or two for years.

Check again. Sacramento routinely falls in the 25º to 30º range. The map shows Sacramento as 9b, which is correct. If you go back and check the records for the last four years you will find you are probably in a warm location. Looks like there is a zone 10a in Yolo County (Woodland area). Given Woodlands temperatures, I'm inclined to think that is an error, or there is a station recording temperatures that is unusually warm, possibly sitting over wetlands where the heat from the water is keeping a thermometer warm.

I live in Downtown Sacramento. My temperatures are about 2º less than the recorded lows, and about 2-4º cooler in the afternoon. The reason: The temperature recorded Downtown is supposed to be at the Post Office, about four blocks away from me. I'm living under an urban forest canopy in the summer. Not as much concrete to hold heat during the winter nights. The frosts are lighter than outlying areas, but oddly, the frost was still on the grass at 11AM the other day, in the shadow of the building next door.

• toyon
    18 years ago

Looking into that zone 10a thing. That area on the map is where Knights Landing is located. The Zip Code to USDA Zone Finder page has it as zone 9 (doesn't specify 9a or 9b) If you look at the colouring on the USDA Zone Map it looks like that spot may either appear to be coloured as 10a, but is really 9a (look at the colour for 9a), which is possible since this area is in the trough of the Sacramento Valley. These locations are typically colder than the areas surrounding them (cold air fills in the lowest areas).

Anyway, most California gardeners really don't consider USDA zones to be helpful. Sunset's zones are much better. They will tell you will typically see in a year, and what the risks are. Sacramento is mainly in Sunset zones 8 and 14. 8 is in the lowest locations of the valley where the coldest winter lows will be found. 14 has summer afternoon moderating influence (Delta Breeze) that keeps Sacramento cooler than Redding. They will also tell you the range of the lowest recorded lows for these zones, which is a real eye-opener for gardeners that haven't spent a lot of time in California.

• shesalittlebear
    18 years ago

I am in Roseville. We did not experience rain or snow here today. Here are the upcoming temps from www.wrh.noaa.gov/ for my zip code (95747).

Tonight: Partly cloudy. Southeast wind 3 mph. Low 35.
    Monday: Partly cloudy. Northwest wind 7 mph. High 58.
    Monday Night: Partly cloudy. Northwest wind 6 mph. Low 32.
    Tuesday: Mostly sunny. Northwest wind 9 mph. High 61.
    Tuesday Night: Mostly clear. Low 34.
    Wednesday: Mostly sunny. High 63.
    Wednesday Night: Mostly clear. Low 37.
    Thursday: Mostly sunny. High 65.
    Thursday Night: Mostly clear. Low 38.
    Friday: Mostly sunny. High 66.

Cheers,

Angelique

• foothill_mark
    18 years ago

Hi Folks

This is one of the first threads to catch my eye and it seems a perfect place for my first post to say "HELLO" and share a couple rare low elevation snow scenes shot this morning. This is my first winter here in the foothills at 2100ft about 15 miles south of Placerville, CA .... usually Zone 9

Mark

{{gwi:509420}}

• jenn
    18 years ago

Welcome, Mark!

Those are beautiful scenes. I bet you couldn't get that camera out fast enough. :-) I love the contrast of the red barn against the white snow and how the tree in the foreground on the right seems to frame the second photo.

I wonder if that's the same cold storm that's supposedly headed down here to the south.

• youreit
    18 years ago

Another welcome, Mark! :)

Those oaks look so beautiful with their white branches! Thanks for sharing, and stay warm. It looks like you might be getting a lot of precip up there this morning.

Brenda

• Monique_CA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Mark! Welcome to the Motherlode!! The last time we got snow like this up here was in 2002. Your pictures are beautiful...I love snow on oaks...

Soggy6...sorry, a little late...but gotta love snowmen in the foothills. That snow was really low, eh? EDH? Who'da thunk??

Thanks for sharing, both of you!

My daughter is sad there was no snow day yesterday or today for her, when Placerville area called a snow day...we're just a tad too low this time...

I'm a tad nervous, have a job interview in Placerville this morning, sincerely hope there is no snow or ice, I'm a California girl and my dh is already at work (he's from Michigan and does my snow driving!). Wish me luck and no slippery roads!!

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

Mark,

Welcome! Great pics, just enough snow to enjoy!

Monique,

Good luck today. Hopefully you won't have weather issues, it seems to have calmed down a bit. My kids were bummed to wake up and not find snow this morning. We are in EDH, barely though, off of Bass Lake Road and close to the Cameron Park/Rescue border. I think we're actually quite a bit higher than EDH town center. We're at 1,200, above Bass Lake grade.

Let us know how the interview goes!

Janna

• foothill_mark
    18 years ago

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, got even more snow this morning and a few more pictures. But it better stop because tomorrow I have plans to fish at Lake Amador.

Jenn - Thanks for the compositional compliments. I tried, but it's too gloomy to be a postcard. It's sunny right now, but the pretty stuff has washed away in warming rain.

Brenda - I'm attempting to stay warm. My little ankle toasting "electric fireplace" has been going most of the day.

Monique - What's your location? I'm in the Mt. Aukum / River Pines area about 15 miles south of Placerville. Lots of wine grapes growing around here. Hope the interview went well for you! I remember one day about 30 years ago there was enough snow in Sacramento for my preschool daughter and I to built a snowman like the one posted earlier. It was GREAT fun for both of us, but I'm glad most snow lands far up the hill. I've always had flatlander troubles trying to drive in it.

Janna - Your mention of the Bass Lake Road turnoff prompted me to search out, edit, and post another photo. It was taken with a small digital camera attached to a remote controlled airplane. I was staying at a friends place just below where this was shot. Scale of elevation is lost, but you're looking at the steep Bass Lake grade on Highway 50 coming up from Sacramento. I'm sure you've seen the small herd of buffalo roaming the field in the foreground. If there wasn't so much haze Folsom Lake could be seen in the distant background. From your description you're somewhere between Folsom and Coloma. Beautiful country. I've done the drive to Coloma on both Green Valley Road and N. Shingle / Lotus Road many times.

As for gardening I need a CRASH COURSE! I came last spring to take care of this 20 acre ranch for a guy who lives in the bay area. He'd already planted a long row of tomato plants and pumpkin seeds he thought was squash. Thompson grape vines ring the deer fence and had been left uncut. I fought weeds with a wacker, hula hoe, on my knees with garden gloves, and desperately with Round-up. They won.

Makes sense to talk with a good local nursery or garden guy or gal. Can anyone recommend someone in my area?

{{gwi:509423}}

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

Mark,

The Front Yard Nursery on Mother lode is a great place. Everyone working there is very knowledgable and very nice.

I know those buffalo well. Interesting how things turn out. I grew up in so cal. but vacationed often in Tahoe. I remember those buffalo from many years ago while on our way up the hill. My husband who also grew up in so cal, has been visiting the Folsom area since the 70's when his oldest sister moved here, and he also remembers those buffalo and even took a picture of them way back when. They are truly a living landmark.

We have been here now for 4 years and love it. Our kids (11, 8, 5 and 1) are now very intrigued with "city life", which is so strange to me!

Enjoy your new land - its rock hard but beautiful!

Janna

• kerrican2001
    18 years ago

Wow, beautiful photos of the snow. I'm surprised you'd normally be a Zone 9 at 2100 feet. I'd expect maybe USDA zone 8 and SUnset Zone 7. In Zone 9 at sea level (East Bay Area), the oaks are already leafing out heavily and are no longer bare, so I'd think your zone is colder?

• youreit
    18 years ago

Ok, this has nothing to do with snow, but after seeing that beautiful pic, my husband said, "Ask him [Mark] what kind of r/c plane that is. Tell him your husband's really into that stuff!" :D

Brenda

• Monique_CA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Janna and Mark, thanks for the good luck wishes. It was snowing REALLY hard in Placerville...but dh told me to just go slow and I'd be okay...just felt the back end of my car wiggle a little after the interview, pulling out of the parking space. The interview went really well, I think, and I'll find out next week. It would be nice to work in the county and not drive to Sacto! Very nice people that interviewed me, too, I'd love to work for them.

Mark, I'm in Shingle Springs, at 1500'. This past storm we got no snow,just a little snow mixed in with the rain. You are quite higher than Janna and I, when it comes to snow levels.

Mark, I agree with Janna, Front Yard Nursery is great. I prefer shopping there than going "down the hill" because Front Yard knows our climate and planting needs better...and in Folsom right now, their agapanthus (Lily of the Nile)looks fine, mine is slimy and squishy because of the frosts we've been getting. My second nursery choice in the area would be Carter's, on Green Valley near Placerville Drive. Also, for gardening advice, you might try our local Master Gardeners. I enjoy their classes, and they are also available by phone. I also go to the Master Preservers classes, and learned how to can that way.

Mark, as for those weeds, welcome to the foothills! Now is the time to take care of them (if you are pulling them)...once the soil starts to really dry out up here, the heavy clay becomes like concrete. Otherwise, I'd let it dry out a little, then rent a rototiller to plow them under.

Love that rc photo. Do you all know about Google Earth? It's free, you just have to download their software. I use it for work all the time, and it is just amazing. Google it and you'll find the website. I found myself roaming our backcountry roads...and loving that I didn't buy that hilltop house in Lotus, that my realtors didn't tell me that was next to the rock quarry in a big serpentine rock area!!

Here is a link that might be useful: El Dorado County Master Gardeners

• foothill_mark
    18 years ago

Janna - I had couple occasions to talk to the oldtimer buffalo rancher who said he'd been there with buffalo since shortly after soil arrived. He also had some flavored comments about folks who'd stop on the freeway to come down to the fence to pet and take pictures of the "cute" buffalo. Here's a copy and paste link to a story about my R/C plane's first encounter with the friendly ... NOT ... critters. Sorry, I don't yet know how to do a "click on" type link. Probably be best to open a second browser window to drop this address in because I'm not sure the go-BACK button will work.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336682&highlight=buffalo

The photos I got are not scenic, but interesting. I Google searched and found Front Yard's web page. Website seems to be 100% trees. I'll need info on trees cause owner planted a whole bunch and doesn't seem to know much about pruning and caring for them. But it's garden stuff I want to learn about first. Do they sell vegetable garden plants and supplies?

kerrican - I got my zone 9# using the zip code (95656) search feature on the GardenWeb site. I then found a color coded map, but at first look had trouble figuring out which shade of tan I'm in. Figure a local nursery will know best so I plan to ask.

Brenda - The plane is called a Slow Stick. Basic version is a fun slow easy to control flyer. The hopped-up version I built to carry the weight of a 5oz camera still could fly slow, but had much more climbing power. My first over water photo flight was at Sly Park. Almost lost my plane and camera that day due to high altitude upslope wind. No wind on the ground, but at about 800ft away it went! I was very happy though with this photo taken that day.
    {{gwi:509426}}

Monique - Got fingers crossed for your up-hill job prospect. Having had over a year's worth of experience driving 50 I'd apply for anything that would let me go uphill when everyone else is going down and vice-versa. I'll also check out Carters and the Master Gardeners link. THANK YOU! I have a rototiller here, but don't think my arthritic back and neck are up to the jarring operation of it. Owner used his full sized dust bowl era tractor to de-weed and level the center area of the garden. Said he'd show me how to use it, but I declined after envisioning plowing it through the fence! Google Earth ... I LOVE IT! I bought the "plus" version upgrade so I could use it with GPS. Here's another copy / paste link to an example of how I use it for fishing adventures.

http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amadorge010606trackoverlaycomp.jpg

Well snow is only in snapshots now replaced with rain and howling high wind last night. DANG! Some of the gust coming through have me holding my hat and socks too!

• youreit
    18 years ago

Mark, thank you for the r/c info for my husband! And thank you for sharing that great buffalo story! I laughed, I cried...well, mainly, I laughed. :D

The camera on your plane sure produces nice, clear images.

Brenda

• Monique_CA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mark, Front Yard has a lot of trees, but lots of other plants too, like veggies and other plants and supplies. They are very knowledgable about our area as well...those big box stores down the hill have no idea about our climate...or should I say "climates"? Have you bought any oranges from Graham's Shed on Gold Hill??? There's actually a "citrus belt" microclimate there that allows growing of citrus.

Love the photo of Jenkinson Lake...gorgeous...and my SoCal friends still can't figure out why I live here...so sad for them!

Snow must be lucky for me, I got the job!! Yahoo!! After 5 years of commuting highway 50, I'm thrilled to be working in our lovely county!

You must have quite a bit of snow up there. We went to Diamond Chinese for dinner last night, then headed up Pleasant Valley to enjoy the snow....it must be very thick at your house! It was slickery too, glad we had the 4x so we could help pull another truck out of a ditch. We just had a little snow last night, and it snowed for about 20 minutes this morning, but now it's all gone.

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

Monique, congrats on the job! How nice that you will be closer to home. Are you from socal? Your comment rings true for us as well, our socal friends can't figure it out. But the more they come and visit, they are starting to understand. An hour to Tahoe, wakeboarding in 10 minutes, history, beauty, open spaces. . .gotta love it!

This weather really is crazy! I'm so ready to get outside and plant now that my littlest is two I'm optimistic that he'll want to help me in the garden. Rain, rain go away!

Janna

• foothill_mark
    18 years ago

Congrats on the new job Monique! Sounds like you're headed the right direction!

I went to Front Yard Nursery Thursday and spoke with a few very helpful people. Checked-out a lot of their drip system stuff and photographed the fronts and backs of a bunch of veggie seed packet prospects. My tiny digital camera is a fantastic note taking tool and means of storing documentation of stuff I buy. (Take a pic of the box and quickly throw it away.)

Did some test spading in the garden and found the soil in the center quite compacted and clay-ie. Around the edges was much looser and I suspect where the tractor work pushed the "good stuff."

In making a midnight post about foothill conditions in my fishing forum I told 'em I wish I could show the snow. I'm a late nite guy. Instead of just wishing I went out to see whatI could do. Snow had stopped and moon was peeking through thin clouds. I put the camera on a tripod, set the focus for infinity, and the shutter for 30 seconds. Took a few test shots and previews to get a usable exposure and framing right Photoshop perked-up the dark original. Not bad for vailed moonlight at 1:00am though.
    {{gwi:509429}}
    My garden area this morning, behind the retaining wall and deer fence was covered with more than a foot of snow. At 5:15pm most is melted.
    {{gwi:509433}}

• shadowsmom
    18 years ago

Pea-sized hail in Laguna Beach (Orange County) this afternoon. It only lasted a few minutes, so I could not get a picture of the hailstones in my bird-of-paradise. Never got above 50 degrees all day. Brrr!

So much for the "but we have warm weather" argument, ha-ha!! I envy all of you folks in NorCal's beautiful wide open spaces.

Shadow's Mom

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

Mark,

Fantastic photos! Are you more than just a hobbyist? I really wish I could claim that second photo as my own!

El Dorado Hills last week
    {{gwi:509438}}

This pic was taken on the 50 in Folsom on Thursday.

{{gwi:509441}}

Tahoe in early winter
    {{gwi:509443}}

I am interested in the equipment your using! Probably questions for another forum - sorry!

Janna

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

El Dorado Hills! We were awakened by the kids at 6am wanting to know where their snow clothes were!
    {{gwi:509446}}

• jenn
    18 years ago

Beatiful!!!

We had a light frost here this morning and it was gone as soon as it warmed up a little. Still quite chilly this morning. My sister-in-law sent pictures from their place just outside of Phoenix, with snow on the hills in the near distance.

• foothill_mark
    18 years ago

Janna I especially appreciate compliments from someone who shows a good eye in their own photos. Thanks.

Photography began as a hobby while in the service in the late 60's. While on a tour in Vietnam I bought (at half price) a ton of Nikon gear. Then I launched a family and learned how to use it taking pics of the kids. I later gave up a better paying electronics job for a chance to work in photography. I retired a few years ago after 25+ years as a Fed Govt. photo/video grapher.

I bought the Casio EX-Z750 because it's small enough to fly on my RC plane. At 7.2 megapixels it provides a good sized image to work with. Original camera pics are just a start point. Photo editing software gives you Ansel Adams control without the caustic chemicals of yesteryear. Photoshop is what I'm used to using, but there are other good, less imtimidating and expensive, choices. I spent about 15 minutes enhancing your nicely composed photo. Were you aware of the subtle "S" curve created by the objects in your pic? A good-eye senses stuff like that without seeing it.

Photo tip of the day - For bright scenes like snow or Maui beach sand you need to "tell" your camera it needs to record MORE light than it wants to. The camera's automatic light adjustment is programmed to record scenes as average 18% grey. So, when you point it at snow you get dismal grey. Use the plus/minus exposure compensating adjustment at +1.0 or +1.3 so scene dominating bright subjects will be recorded better. You have to do the same for making a quick camera close-up of a typed page.

{{gwi:509450}}

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

Mark,

Wow. I'm thoroughly impressed! What an awesome background. I have mostly been a hobbyist. I have a communications degree (journalism/PR) and worked through college doing various photo jobs. I then went to work in the media relations department for the California Angels (now the CA Angels of Anaheim). While there, one of the persons I worked under was VJ Lovero who is one of the all time great sports photographers. He amassed 35 SI covers during his career that was cut short due to cancer which took his life two years ago. He was an amazing person as well as photographer and I'd like to think I learned much from him as well as my other duties with the team.

After becoming a full time mom in 1994, I mostly was a "snapshot" photographer and even feel as though I lost my eye for awhile. Or maybe it was just that I was too busy! I never completely left it however, as I always had friends asking me to do this or that. Now that my youngest of four is 2 I am passionate!

After shooting for our local swim team as a fundraiser, I started receiving requests from families to shoot their children in all sports. This has snowballed into a little business, and I am back relearning digital. I was a loyal Nikon user, however I switched to Canon when their Rebel D came in under $1000. I have one standard lens, the 80-300 zoom and I just purchased (today!) a fixed 85 1.8. I have not shot with it yet. I use Photoshop Elements and hope to one day upgrade to Photoshop. Of course I also want to upgrde my camera body, and other lenses! I get lost in the digital darkroom just as I used to get lost in the chemical darkroom!

Thanks for enhancing that picture for me! I have attached a few that I spent a little time with, and a couple of samples of my sports shots, which I am most comfortable with.

I have so much to learn, and am always happy to receive advice.

Now that I have totally hijacked this post I'll say thanks, again!

Janna

{{gwi:509452}}
    {{gwi:509455}}
    {{gwi:509458}}
    {{gwi:509459}}
    {{gwi:509462}}
    {{gwi:509465}}

• phoebe1969
    18 years ago

I am at 700' in the Lotus/Coloma valley and we got 2in. It was gorgeous and so are all the photos.

• deedlemusic
    18 years ago

We had snowfall all last Saturday morning in Tujunga, CA -- something that hasn't happened since the early 1960's! We're at about 1750 feet. There was also snow on the Verdugo hills that are just above Burbank! Snow on the palm trees... snow all over my garden... Does snow in Los Angeles mean that hell has actually frozen over? Lol!

• patty4150
    18 years ago

hey hey hey! This is the place to talk about snow in california eh?

We had snow on our nearby peaks for the FIRST TIME since moving her in '97, and it was fabulous.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/Patty4150/Mishe%20Mokwa%20hike/snow.jpg

These peaks are only a few miles from the ocean, and only 3000 feet elevation. It was GREAT. None in the yard though.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:509408}}

• jenn
    18 years ago

Deedlemusic, I remember that snow in the early 60s! We were in Chinatown that day with my parents and grandparents, and when we returned home there was snow everywhere. My parents' home at that time was a much lower elevation than Tujunga, maybe a few hundred feet.

We must remember, it snows in California every year, somewhere.... in the Sierras, the Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino mountains, and that's just in SoCal.... and we even have our own glacier (where the frozen body of the 1940s soldier was recently discovered). It's just not common at the low elevations where (apparently) most of us live.

• youreit
    18 years ago

LOL!! @ Deedle

Patty, to place your image directly into your post, you'll want to copy the info in the box next to "Tag" in your Photobucket album and paste it into the message area here at GW. :)

Brenda

• foothill_mark
    18 years ago

Yeah Janna we have strayed from "It's SNOWING" (how lovely), but frankly now that I've got some "cool" photos I'm tired of it and WANT Spring back! The weight of the build-up crushed the net and supports covering outer chicken run. Now while freezing MY tail feathers off I've got to get knee high boots on and wade into cold mud to try to lift and patch and get the net back on it's supports.

Anyway, I like hearing about your photo experiences and seeing your AWESOME photos. I especially like the B&W softball shot ... GREAT!. Afraid tho that as much as I like them I suspect others will feel opposite. Not because they're lame, but they are WAY BIG! The problem of posting BIG pics in forums hits close to home because it's been a recent hot topic in my fishing forum. While I appreciate large high resolution pictures and have a graphic capable computer and high speed net connection to handle them, they do cause problems for folks who don't. First they throw the formatting of the text way off requiring people with small monitors to have to scroll back & forth to not only see the BIG pics, but also just to read the text. Many already frustrated by slow download give up and avoid the whole thread.

Patty4150's post provides (at least for me) a rather confusing example of "CLICK" linking so the large pic pops up outside the forum in it's own new window. In the fish forum I learned special coding needed to put a text described clickable link to my large photo below a small version formatted to fits the normal width of the forum layout. My text goes like this, "CLICK HERE for 1200x1600 pixel 600k image" I've not yet figured out how to do that here in GardenWeb. youreit can you help? I use ImageShack for free image hosting.

What's confusing with Patty's post is that the clickable text that looks to me like it should lead to picture posting instructions instead presents the pic she's sharing with us.

Janna if you're interested in seeing a few more of my nicer non-garden pics send me your email address I can then send you an invitation to view my Webshots albums. Even if you're not interested in my humble collection I highly suggest you check-out the Webshots site. It's the best place I've found on the net to enjoy top quality photography ... some available FREE. I pay a modest subscription not so much for album hosting, but for access to ZILLIONS of AWESOME high rez pics. "Fix" this email address to contact me: eagle_i_photos(at)yahoo(dot)com

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

On my screen they are not large. I don't know how to fix that for other people. I do have the problem of having to scroll to see the text, however. If anyone can help that would be great! I will email you, and thanks!

Janna

• youreit
    18 years ago

Mark, thank you for mentioning those of us with dial-up! I don't have any other options for connecting to the internet, so I've found the fastest way for me to view each image (which I simply can't pass up) is to stop the page from loading and opening the images one at a time (rather than waiting for them all to load at the same time).

The code you would want to use to place a smaller image in your post as a link to your larger one would be -

You'll want to get rid of the spaces after each . Then, you'll want to place the same link to your image after each http://. The a href part (with the closer) is what makes it all a link. The img src is the actual source of your image. In this instance, as I said, they will both be the same website.

The width and height make the image smaller for a preview link. The border is the size of the border around the image preview link. As for the text you'd want, you can just write, "CLICK BELOW for 1200x1600 pixel 600k image."

If you would rather just provide a link rather than the image preview, you would put in the usual a href part, type whatever text you want as a link (i.e., click here for SNOW!), then make sure to "close" the code with (without the spaces, of course).

I hope that wasn't too confusing! :)

Brenda

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

I tried to delete my pictures from this thread so I could start over. I broke my link at photobucket, but my pictures are still here? I especially want to delete the sports pictures. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Brenda, thanks for the explanation!

• foothill_mark
    18 years ago

Janna you may see them because they are still in your internet browser's temporary file memory. They are no longer showing for me. Instead I see little boxes saying Ooops! the image for the link is no longer here.

Brenda I thank you too for the explaination, but I'll confess it'll take me some practice and trial & error time to be sure I've got it figured out. Regarding slow dial-up connection. If you think you're limited because you live in the boondocks maybe you haven't heard about Direcway satellite connection. If you are a net junkie like me you can justify the steeper cost of $60 per month if you buy the equipment or $99 if you make payments on it. It's not as fast as cable or DSL, but SOOO MUCH BETTER than dial-up ... especially if you use it during off (late nite) hours.

Welp, finished lunch ... SUN IS OUT ... I'm off to the garden!

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I've been vastly amused by all the to-do about snow in the Bay Area/Sacramento Area/lower Gold Country. Okay, so I was born in Sacramento, and I remember one Christmas when it was snowing at my grandparents' place in Carmichael. That would have been some time between 1959 and 1967. I remember reports of snow in San Francisco in the 1980's, and thinking how totally COOL it would be to ski Lombard Street!

But now I live in snow country, or close to it, so it's just huge fun to watch the Oakland news reports when it does snow in California. Needless to say, I learned to drive in snow, garden where it snows, to downhill and cross-country ski.

Lisa

• jenn
    18 years ago

I'm a native of southern CA and I've lived here all my life. What many people don't understand is that CA has snow every winter -- some winters more than others. That is not an unusual occurance. What is unusual is when it snows at low elevations, especially low elevations in southern CA. This is what I think this thread is all about. California is a very big state with a many different types of geographical elements. In almost every winter, I can drive less than one hour to go to the snow. California also has many winter ski resorts. And, our very own glacier!

Jen

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

Yep, snow one day, beach the next. We can learn and do it all in CA; skiing, snowboarding, surfing, wakeboarding. The list goes on. Gotta love California, no place I'd rather be!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!