SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redturtle_gw

Black Swallowtail cats on my parsley - what to do with them?

RedTurtle
12 years ago

Hello. I know some of you raise the butterfly here, from teeny little larvae to full winged creature, so I am hoping for some good advice.

I live in the northeast US. About a month ago I noticed what I assumed to be a black swallowtail spending a lot of time on a parsley plant I had just potted on my patio. Then, this week, I noticed tiny black caterpillars with a single white band across their back. Within just a few days, those critters have become almost 2 inch long green, black and yellow striped parsley eating machines! There are 5 of them. I did some research, and believe they are black swallowtail, or "parsley butterfly" caterpillars. I now know that they will eat as much as they can, then crawl off somewhere and make a cocoon - and then either become butterflies this summer or next spring/summer? (that is the part I am not sure about)

Problem -

My SIL was over, she has 2 young girls, and last year they recieved one of those butterfly growing "kits" as a gift - supposedly you can order the butterfly larvae thru the mail, you put them in this big mesh thing, feed them food that is supplied by the company that sends you the critters, and then they will cocoon and eventually hatch, and you set them free. My sisterinlaw successfully did all this, and still has the butterfly house. She wants to take my caterpillars, put them in her butterfly house, and let them cocoon in there, and finish their metamorphisis under the watchful eyes of her children.

Should I do this? Will my cats fare well in this set up? I feel I should leave them be, let nature handle what it has already started. But, I wouldn't mind giving them to her if I knew they would be ok, and be able to finish out their little growth cycle safely and happily in such a set up.

If I don't give them to her, I will just let them do their thing on the parsley, and then crawl off to whatever fate awaits them. The parsley pot is right next to my perennial garden and Japanese maple tree, plenty of places they can go to cocoon.

PLease give me some advice, they are growing fast!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored