SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

How cold did you get last night(1/16/12)?

bahia
12 years ago

My neighborhood just missed getting major frost in this cold front on MLK's birthday. Although I suppose I should give it another day or two to see whether some of the more sensitive foliage plants do show some freeze burn damage. So far, only Kalanchoe pumila right at ground level two houses down at a neighbor's garden has been frozen, and that was actually a couple of weeks ago now.

I brought some new tender plants in pots, such as Vireya rhododendrons, some Agave attenuata 'Ray of Light', Begonia 'Leprechaun', Salvia splendens 'Shrimp Cocktail' and some Epidendrum porphyreum into more sheltered spots under tree cover just in case. It may not have been necessary, because very sensitive large leafed plants out in the open like the Heliconia's, Bartlettina sordidum and Dahlia imperialis don't seem to show any damage.

I was watching the news last night for frost predictions for the Oakland/Berkeley area, and it seemed right on the money at 33*F as predicted. Plenty cold enough for me, let's hope that is the worst for the winter! How cold was it in your area?

Comments (12)