SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deep___roots

storm stories, or, out with the old

deep___roots
18 years ago

Quite an interesting "holiday" weekend...

Compared to those who were flooded in their homes, I don't have much to complain about. But it was no "holiday".

I woke Saturday morning to find a 40 foot plum tree blown down. The two trunks of this tree landed exactly on either side of the birdbath which was positioned under this tree, apparently not even touching the birdbath on the way down. Similarly, the top of this tree just missed smashing my beautiful "garnet" japanese maple. "That was lucky" sez I. Not so lucky were the pyracantha bushes and the peach tree and a rose bush all of which got flattened.

I had been considering taking out this plum tree, which would have been some work if it was standing tall. But what happens? The wind knocks it down for me; now easily within reach of my pruning saw. "That was lucky" sez I. And indeed the tree is all chipped up and/or cut into firewood already.

So even when something bad happens, there may be a silver lining. I do get to do some new landscaping in that area.

Of course, we were also without power for 36 hours, and our garage got a little flooded and with no power I couldn't pump it out and I was working like a dog chipping and chopping up that tree and cleaning up generally...so it was no "holiday" in the sense I was hoping for. I'm back at my real job today....resting.

Hope you all came through relatively unscathed.

Comments (4)