SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goddess9_gw

Help me identify these, please!

goddess9
12 years ago

I went to the Philadelphia Flower Show yesterday (it's nice to have once a year here!) and came home with some succulents. I'm fairly sure on some, not on others and would appreciate your help!

None of the people working the booth knew the name of this one but it was something my boyfriend was drawn to and so I took it home.

{{gwi:514094}}

This was labeled "Sedum Dasyphyllum" but every pic I saw of it didn't look right. It feels like soft hair and everything breaks off really easily. I'm VERY scared to re-pot this. Any ideas?

{{gwi:514095}}

???

{{gwi:514096}}

Crassula...?

{{gwi:514097}}

I feel like this is familiar...

{{gwi:514098}}

Aeonium "kiwi"?

{{gwi:514099}}

And a few questions:

Should I just keep these in the pot that they're in? They're small pots.

There are rocks on the top layer...can I water on top or do I have to push them over and water directly? I know this is probably a dumb question. Thank you so much!

Comments (27)

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Nice haul, goddess9!

The first one is a Euphorbia. Hard to say which species. You may need to let it grow a bit to figure out for certain. Take care when handling-if white milky sap comes out-don't get in your eyes-or membranes of any body parts, or on skin...wash off immediately.

2nd very well could be Sedum dasyphyllum, but one not grown in enough light. Are the leaves a bit fuzzy? Closer pix of leaves might help to ID.

3rd ~Haworthia, but not like one I've seen. Could be a cross...or something else...like an Astroloba. :P

4th ~Sedum rubrotinctum 'Aurora'.

5th ~Echeveria 'Decora'

6th ~Aeonium 'Sunburst' (Nice!)

The only dumb question is the one NOT asked!
    Yes, you can water over the rocks.

Repotting is good if you think the roots need more room. Just don't go too much larger. (The Sedum dasyphyllum & the Aeonium look like they could use a bit larger pot.)

~Rosemarie

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, great! My boyfriend kept pointing out Euphorbias as the "nice" ones. I should have known he'd pick one that I need to be careful with, lol. Seriously, thank you, Rosemarie. This helps!

Does this help? I am bad at one-handed macros. I bought this from a vendor right across from the main succulent vendor and I have an inkling they meant to sell it this way. It was labeled "love and tangles" so I think they did want it to look like hair.
    {{gwi:514100}}

The E. Decora doesn't need one? It's HUGE considering the pot size! The vendor told me that succulents don't mind feeling a little "tight" inside their pots.

The Aeonium has little black markings underneath it. I tried to wipe it off but it's under every leaf on the top layer. I obsessively look for bug in my plants and I don't believe it's bug damage since it looks pretty uniform. Does anyone have one and see this too?

• Related Discussions

Can you please help me identify these?

Q

Comments (3)
    Photo of plant #1 http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/mudbear11/001.jpg Photos of plant #2 http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/mudbear11/002.jpg http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/mudbear11/003.jpg Photos of plant #3 http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/mudbear11/004.jpg http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/mudbear11/005.jpg http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/mudbear11/006.jpg
    ...See More

Please help identify these!

Q

Comments (5)
    yes.. you need pots with drainage.. and a MEDIA.. for potting ... usually.. mother earth does NOT work well in pots ... or it doesnt make the job easy ... and as a newbie.. i do want to try to make it easier for you ... [a presumption based on not recognizing a tomato ... forgive me if such is wrong] think of it this way.. roots need air.. almost as much as the plant needs water ... and you can see .. from your pix.. that there is no air left for the roots in your pots ... the third pot.. my first instinct said radish.. but i am no ID expert ... ken
    ...See More

Please help identify all of these!!

Q

Comments (4)
    Hey, Looks like you have several weeds. "B" looks like some kind of bulb-maybe a lilly like Milk and Wine. "C" looks like an onion. "H" is a hyacinthis. If "E" is what I think it is, it gets purple flowers, grows big quickly and is quite invasive--I just don't know the name. I would treat it like a weed and get rid of it. Sorry, I can't be of more help.
    ...See More

Please help me identify these!

Q

Comments (12)
    In addition to the unopened flowers in the lantana, there seems to be a seedhead as well. You can see the stem extended across the white object, ending in what appears to be a 'berry'.
    ...See More
  • rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Well, Euphorbias are nice plants! :P Hee hee!

Ha ha, on the "love and tangles" tag...it does look like Sedum dasyphyllum...grown in a closet!

You could repot the 'Decora'. Might help it from tipping over. I would also suggest you try to propagate a new plant from a leaf, as this one seems to give up the ghost after it blooms (just my experience with it).

True that some succulents don't mind being tight...just not forever. Pretty soon you'll have only roots & no soil left in the pot. Pull them up out of their pot & take a look. Then decide. :)

Again, a photo would help with the "black spot" problem. Mine have spots here & there (wouldn't call them black,though)~but nothing to worry about.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

While I don't know the species on the Euphorbia, I do know she's pregnant and about to give birth. So if I were you, I'd cover all of those little red pods because they are going to explode and you'll have seed everywhere! Now, having said that, Euphorbia seed have a relatively short shelf life. If you are of a mind to collect the seed by covering them with gauze or something that will surround the small red pods like tissue, I'd be happy to try and germinate them and I'll pay the postage! What a sport I am.... LOL

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, I think the leaves are just like that. Oops! No spots, just markings along the edges.

Biker, OMG! I am going to rib him so bad over this.
    LOL, I don't know how to handle a pregnant succulent...

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

It's sort of like bringing home a pregnant rabbit. First you have one, and then you have hundreds. But in this case you can send them all to Doc. There was a post not too far back with photos on how to cover and collect the seeds. When I have the time later I'll see if I can locate it for you.
    Penny

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Well, I couldn't find the post I was looking for, but this one has some good ideas on how to collect the seeds from a different plant than yours, but it should work with your plant too unless someone has better ideas. I hope this link works for you

Here is a link that might be useful: Collecting seeds

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Some beautiful finds! About E. 'Decora'--good to know, Rosemarie, that it maybe has that tendency after blooming (another plant on my should-find list).

About the black marks on the underside of the Aeonium leaves-- I know what you're talking about. In the long past I've picked up a couple plants with that issue at the nursery, and initially it worried me and I thought it was possibly the result of some pest. But it certainly wasn't bugs in my case, and I might lean toward it being something related to care/sunlight..? It's a question I really have never gotten answered, either, as to the cause of those marks. To my understanding, A. 'Sunburst' does not do well in full, hot summer sun, so I'm careful in the warmer months, and fortunately, I didn't have any of the spots expand or multiply; the plant just outgrew them. I was grateful they were on the undersides of the leaves, not on the top. :)

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Penny, thank you. I like those ideas!

Teatree, ah, I'm glad this is not some anamoly haha.

---

I'm really hoping to get an ID on the possible Haw and the Euphorbia. Any guesses?

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Quickly, before my dog walk...back to say I believe your pregnant one is Euphorbia susannae, which can be seen at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: looks at E. susanne

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ding ding ding! We've got a winner! Thanks, Rosemarie!

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Goddess9, Could you please provide another pic of the possible Haw -from the top?

On the Aeonium, they often gets marks (like bruising/scratching) from rubbing against other leaves/plants. I have also found some scars (raised scabs) from an unknown cause -not insects (which I also find on some Crassula).

Colleen, I have all my A. 'Sunburst' in full sun & they do great! I don't imagine it gets any hotter by you than here.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Not to worry, my Goddess. The Doctor is in the house! Just remember to take your vitamins and when the time comes you won't need stirrups or forceps!!!!! In fact, you probably won't even know when the little critters have arrived unless you're standing next to the plant at the very moment they deliver!!!! But you definitely should send the seed to me, unless you want to sow them yourself. These are some of my current pregnant Euphorbia. I've been busy with inseminating these, since I don't have my usual assistants.

{{gwi:514101}} {{gwi:514102}} {{gwi:514103}}

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

I too get those black marks on my Aeoniums. Sometimes scattered tiny spots, other times more splotch like anywhere on the leaves. They are rather distracting and ugly to look at, and trying to prevent them is very annoying. I do notice that in a group of plants, they may occur on one of the plants, or on a single branch of a plant while not affecting others in the group.

Penny

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, you will get the aerial view when I get home from work. :)

Doc, I just love it! Would you really want the seeds?

Penny, yes! The brown splotch afflicts one leaf and not the others.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

First, we'd all love to know your first name.... and yes, I love growing from seed. Looking at the pods, they should all mature pretty much at the same time or at least within a week or so of one another. With so many pods, it will be a challenge to cover them. Trust me, if you don't, you will have seed everywhere!

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eep, my name is Lauren. :) I keep forgetting to leave it after my comments.

I'm pretty much a failure at growing from seed so you can have them.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here you go, Rosemarie.
    {{gwi:514104}}

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

I'm a little slow to the chase here, and I hate to bump this up after all this time (I would e-mail you if I had the option), but I'm questioning if that Haw could be Haworthia resendeana..? My uneducated guess. I ran across an image of it today.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Sorry I didn't get back to this when you posted it earlier, Lauren. CBL (Crazy Busy Life) keeps me hoppin'!

Glad Colleen returned...to remind me...and I think you have it! My book lists it as a cultivar name, so it'd be written Haworthia 'Resendeana'. The book says it appears to be a cultivar of H. coarctata & is often written incorrectly as a species.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was gonna post that I found out what it was weeks ago but didn't want to bump my thread up. ^_^ Thank you, though! You guys really are the best.

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Rosemarie saves the day by correcting me. :) So glad! Yeah, I'd wondered if it should be written as such. Certainly looks to be related to H. coarctata.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

So Lauren, have we had babies, yet? Let us/me know ASAP! What an exciting time!

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Doc, oddly...no! She is certainly being dried out to the touch before being watered, and nothing. I have noticed it has grown but no shooting seeds, haha.

How long does it typically take?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

It's been almost a month since you posted the original pictures and I would expect that they should have popped by now. If you take a pin and poke one of the pods and it bleeds a white latex material then they are not ripe. If nothing happens, then you can just pick them off. They may be sterile pods, i.e., no seed inside or the seed are empty.

• goddess9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess she just likes being *pregnant*...
    {{gwi:514105}}

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

ell, I guess so. Thanks for the update.... I guess we'll just have to be patient.... or should I say expecting parents...LOL

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz