SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammyqc

How much root pruning would you do?

sammyqc
17 years ago

One of my brugs is now four years old (this is the one that got me started)and I really need to do some root pruning. She is in the biggest possible clay pot that I can manage to move, and has been for the last two summers, so I really need to refresh the soil. 'Big Mamma' (my kids named her - not the variety name - because she is the mother plant to so many others) she was labelled a X Candida. Blooms profusely, and smells wonderful, so obviously I don't want to inhibit blooming this summer. They don't go outside for quite a few weeks, and even then it's in at night till the night temps are reliably nice. When is a good time to prune? I was thinking now, but she's already started to put out really nice healthy growth. Should I wait till fall at this point? I don't want to discourage blooming, but at the same time, probably needs fresh soil to encourage it.

I don't want to plant this one in the ground, because it'll lose weeks of outdoor life and it is so far my best brug. I don't mind hauling it in and out, depending on the weather.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus