SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

GW problems-can't post on the exchange forums

3 members have emailed me that they can't post on the Seed Exchange or on the Round Robin Forum. In surfing around a bit, I see I can't post to any of the exchanges either or even the Exchange page here at Winter Sowing. I'm thinking it might have something to do with zip code authorization or some such thing, since it is only the exchanges involved, as far as I can tell. Anyway, I have reported those 3 member's names along with mine via the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to make GW aware of the problem. I have no idea if 'no one' can post to the exchanges, or if it is just 'some' members.

Anyway, I just wanted to post a heads up, where it would best be seen (under the circumstances). Hopefully GW will either get it fixed soon, or give us an update in the "What's New on Garden Web" banner thingy.

Sue...resident busy body

Instead of seeing a message box to post on the exchanges, I am seeing the message:

"Post a Message to the Forum

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in."

That is the message the other 3 members were describing to me in the emails.

Comments (60)

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

I have windows.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I don't use a mac, it's windows OS. But I use Firefox with adblock plus and I never see an ad.

Karen

• Related Discussions

Think GW needs to post on the exchanges

Q

Comments (5)
    I feel like this is directed at me, since my post has gone today. Oh Mona, please don't feel that way. It is quite common for newbies to miss seeing the link or reading the Special Instructions. You certainly weren't the first to have a post pulled and I'm sure you won't be the last. I agree with what littleonefb said above...Instead of moving on, you should look for posts on the seed exchange forum that are offering free seeds, seeds for postage, BEAP, SASBE, Newbie seeds. Please check out the link below. It tells how to set up your Member Trade list, even if it is just seeds you are looking for. It explains why that is important. See also the reply in the thread explaining in more detail about the many 'seeds for postage offers It seems too much of this is going on recently an I think they should post it........... aquadragonfly, Please try to remember that these are new members, who just missed seeing the link or reading the instructions. GW is a vast site, and even hard to navigate if one is new....let alone trying to find certain forums, and one's post back. Let's welcome our newbies and help them in any way we can. Sue...resident busy body Here is a link that might be useful: addressing newbie and newer member issues
    ...See More

GA girl attending AL swap -- can't post to exchange page

Q

Comments (1)
    Squirrellypete, email your list to me and I'll be glad to post it for you. BTW, I know I speak for everyone when I say "Welcome". We llok forward to seeing you on May 20. Terry
    ...See More

Problems posting on Exchanges?

Q

Comments (1)
    Never mind. It's working now. :-P
    ...See More

I don't like iVillage's newest change!!

Q

Comments (15)
    there has been red update info on the first pages up at the top telling about the problems that are happening on GW, some people keep that area collapsed so do not see it. tami if it is a new laptop and has windows 7 on it go into the security center and make sure the included windows firewall is turned on, some come with it turned off, make sure you have it set to on. It is a good firewall on windows 7. The other program I always recommend everyone use is malwarebytes which is free, it will take care of the infections that your antivirus program misses, just be sure you update it before running the full scan and do that once a week or so. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Win) - Detecting and Removing Malware I also recommend spywareblaster which is free too, no scans to do with it, just update it weekly then hit the enable all protection so the shield is green and it helps protect you while surfing. SpywareBlaster Make sure you watch out for when the version of the Antivirus that came on the pc expires it is not usually a very long free trial. to stop all those ads and banners you would need to get firefox browser and add the extension ad block plus with the easylist subscriptions. If you need info on that just ask or come over to the computer help area here on GW and we can help you. It is always a good idea to have at least one additional browser in addition to IE in case IE failed you would still have access to get online. making sure your laptop has all the needed updates is essential, not just the windows updates which are a must but also updates for Java, adobe, flash etc. to check what is needed you can run the secunia tool which will help you make sure you have everything updated. Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI)
    ...See More
  • countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Well that busted that theory!!

Now I can't get on the exchange even on android. Blah!!

Here is a new theory, (can anyone tell I am once again bored since all the packages are gone, lol) anyone think it has to do with wikileaks. I was watching the news (cnn) and they were talking about all of these sites being hit the last few days. Lol, sorry it just made me wonder if that is what is up here.

• aquawise
    13 years ago

I use Firefox and I have a mac! I can get on and post everywhere else. Just a few places here I cannot post on. It wants me log in. NOTHING happens!! I can go to my page! I can send PM's just no exchanges?? Thought maybe I had been band or something. LOL Guess GW will get'er fixed.

• manda3
    13 years ago

One weird thing I noticed. If I click on a member page there is no profile, but if I click on the trade page and then use the link at the top to 'go back' to the member page, it's there. Imma' be experimenting.

• aquawise
    13 years ago

I have checked all of the Exchange forums, None of them will let me post. The rest are all ok. FYI!!!! Guess we wait and see whats next. Fix it ! Fix it ! FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    """SLAP"""" sorry!! "WOW" guess I was having withdrawels!!! LOL

• tomva
    13 years ago

I cant post on the exchanges and my zone in my username diappeared this is the message I get when I try to log in The webpage cannot be found
    HTTP 404
    Most likely causes:
    �There might be a typing error in the address.
    �If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
    What you can try:
    Retype the address.
    Go back to the previous page.
    Go to and look for the information you want.
    More information

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Tomva, just be patient - this should go away soon. There has been a message posted at the top of forum pages since last night, they are aware and are working on it.

"Thursday, 11:00pm ET: We are currently experiencing login issues. If you are unable to login, please contact us and provide your username and the error message that you are receiving. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to resolve this issue. "

If you want to report your own address, use the Contact Us in the green ribbon at the bottom of the page

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whew...after not being able to get on since sometime yesterday, using Firefox, I decided to try with Internet Explorer, which I very seldom use. Low and behold, I was still logged in to GW via IE, so can post here. It looks like (to me anyway) that the exchanges and the RR forum still have issues.

fyi...if you log off GW, you likely will not be able to get logged back on to post anywhere on GW....until things are fixed.

Sue

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Sue I had that exact same problem on my desktop. I ended up finding a way to sign in using firefox after I had signed out. Using trudi's and karen's advice about the ad blocker.

What I simply did was pulled up the web page in firefox. At the top where it has the web addy, I clicked right in front of the addy. Sometimes it shows a clover, here lately it shows a over stuffed red exclamation point sometimes. Then again sometimes it just shows like a little piece of paper. Anywho I clicked that, a box showed where it says this website identity information; Your connection to this website is not encrypted. Then you see another button that says More Information. Click that!!

{{gwi:460130}}

Then you are going to see another box with several tabs on the top. Click the media tab, then where it says block images, make sure that is checked.

{{gwi:460131}}

Then click on the permissions tab, make sure that the option of pop ups is unchecked. Then check to make sure that the install extensions or themes is unchecked.

{{gwi:460132}}

Once you do all that close it out. One last thing, either hit your refresh button. Or go to your browser and at the top where you see all of your options click View, then in the pull down menu click on reload.

{{gwi:460133}}

This worked for me I was then able to log in. I hope it works for anyone else if you are willing to try it. :D Granted I still can not post on the exchange, but I am logged in on windows using firefox.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I am still getting nailed with the images!! You may have to hit the block images part several times.

I have tracked down the images that are causing the problem and they are coming from ivillage. Is ivillage and gardenweb one in the same??

Weird thing is that several images that garden web uses are titled ivilliage. Ivillage is also a forum, but html based also. Hmmmm........

Original Author
    13 years ago

It looks like GW got the log in fixed, because I just tried with FF before coming here and seeing all of your helpful post Carolyn...but thank you!

I'm thinking that I am only seeing the advertisements on 'some' of the forums, but before this latest GW trouble, I didn't see any.

Sue

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Good, I emailed them about this thread. I doubt it helped them but, hey it was worth a shot.

13 years ago

Condensed version is:
    NBC owns iVillage. One iVillage extension is GW.

It seems like functionality, and user issues, were more controlled with Spike. Sometimes I miss Spike :)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Gotcha!! So in other words it is something on their side with their own images???

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

Sometimes I miss Spike

Morz8, I "sometimes miss him too, but not very often.

Anyway. Here's what's going on with a Mac using either Safari Tiger or Safari Leopard.

I just tried to log in on the seed exchange forum, not on a thread, just at the bottom of the forum where it says "log in".

Now I get this message on that forum

"Not Found

The requested URL /auth///forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/exseed/nph-ind.cgi? was not found on this server."

So then I came over to the Wintersowing forum and clicked on this thread and down at the bottom of the thread was the normal log in under "post a Follow-Up".

Darned if I can figure this one out, BUT, and yes, it's crazy.

After starting this post, I pulled up another window went to GW main page again and clicked on forums.
    Then I went to the seed exchange forum again and clicked on the first thread on the page.
    Scrolled down to the bottom of the page and presto, everything looking normal again.

SO.

I copied this post as far as I had gotten, then shut down the computer and started it up again.

Went to GW, tried to log into the seed exchange forum by way of a thread and got the same message as above. Clicked on another thread on the seed exchange and there was the follow up message spot to post.

Now if any tech savvy WS can figure that out, I'd love to hear it.

Fran

Original Author
    13 years ago

So in other words it is something on their side with their own images???
    Well, I don't know if it something on their side with their own images, but it is indeed a GW issue and not an issue with the individual users.

I just don't understand why some are still posting to the exchanges and the RR forum, but I can't...oh well...guess it will all get ironed out sometime. In the meantime, trading has slowed a lot, though since folks can now get logged in again, they can at least reply to traders.

Sue

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I couldn't log in for the past couple days so this afternoon I clicked on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page and sent them an SOS email. They got the problem resolved in under 15 minutes and I was once again able to log in.

Here's what the response email said:

Our tech team has been working to resolve the login problem. There are still some issues on some forums, but you should be able to now login. If not, please let me know.

Best,

Tamara

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I can NOW get on the wsers exchange forum and see a box!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more log in not authorized junk. Oh but I did just do a fire fox update, not sure if that helped or what but all I know is I can post once again on my desktop using windows!!!!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

ALL exchanges I see a box once again!!!!!

Whoooo hoooo!!

But my zone still keeps disappearing but if that is the only issue blah I am so not worried about that!!!

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Here's my story:

A couple of days ago, I could post anywhere using Firefox. Yesterday, I was logged in and could post on discussions but not the exchanges. I used the GW suggestions on this page (clear cookies and cache, restart, log in from home page) and now it's back as it should be. I have a post box everywhere.

Karen

• manda3
    13 years ago

I did that, looks like I can now reply to certain exchange threads but not start a new topic. Good enough x)

• jodie74
    13 years ago

I still can't post on exchange side. I'm pretty sure I "cleared" all that they asked/restarted/logged in on home page. I even called my Dad (computer wiz) and he feels I did it right too. I've emailed GW & they say they are working on it for me. :(

Original Author
    13 years ago

Well it looks like GW still has quite a few things to get ironed out.

It seems hit or miss about our garden zones being shown in the posting.

Jodie74, though I/we can see your email addy in your post, there is no email link on your Member Page...sigh.

I'm also seeing some advertisements on 'some forums' where before there weren't any using FF and some sort of an ad blocker...sigh.

Sue

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

I'm not seeing any advertisements, but seeing some member's garden zones show up with a post and others don't.

I checked my member page and all the info is on the member page.

Let's see if this post shows the garden zone today.

Fran

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

OK, this fixed the garden zone problem.

Go to member services and log in there. Then go to update you profile. Odds are you will find some things missing on the profile page that need to be filled in again.

I found my zip code missing, listed as a male, not a female.

I put in the correct info and clicked to save the info. Then came back here to post and a preview shows my garden zone info showing up again.

Fran

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I can not login on my desktop!! I tried to hit the link to recover my pass, only to get script errors. I can read I just can not post.

I fear once I log out here I won't be able to log back in. Blah!!!

Anywho, know I will be planting in a few days if I still can't log in. I will take pics!!

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Garden webs is having major problems!! I just had to log out to see, so I cleaned my cookies and all even deleted all passwords. That was the craziest way I got back in. I don't even remember how I did it, but at one time it said wsing forum did not exist. Finally I am here and logged in, on the forum it acts as if I need to log in. While on this thread I have a box.

This device is not fast so I didn't check anywhere else.

I finally changed my password, but that wasn't it!!

Hopefully it will be better in the morn!!

• happyinmygarden
    13 years ago

Hi all. I haven't been able to log in for about 3 wks, and before that everytime I logged in , I'd have to do it again the next day. I sent a message, but never heard back. I could get to garden web, but couldn't post, kept getting "error" message. I finnaly made a new account using my other email address. I was once "brightmoregirl" am now "happyinmygarden". I didn't post often, so you may not know me. I didn't have problem with adds, just logging on. Just glad to be back. I'm not sure if what I did will work for anyone else, but it did for me.
    Jennie

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Yeah I even made another account last night also. Ironically the name is happygoluckygarden, LOL. How ironic!!

Anywho after I made the account I couldn't change any of the member profile information. So I still could not get on any of the exchanges. Though I could get on the regular forums.

Now seems all back to normal for me even on my desktop. I did just get an email this morning from someone else saying they were still not able to log in.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

I can log in but the password isn't storing in my computer, I have to enter it manually every day. I hate the sidebar ads. And I get a Malwarebytes warning every time I'm here. This is not good and I am not happy about it.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

trudi, Yikes! did you report that? get any response?

We have malwarebytes in this 'puter but I haven't gotten any warnings. Anyone else?

I have to log in every day, too, and every time I go to the exchange I have to log in again from the home page.

Karen

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I got one hit the other day. Though I have most of all of that stuff blocked. Meaning the images.

I am with Trudi, it isn't good.

Sometimes even if I just refresh my page I have to log back in. Which as long as I can log in that is no biggie. Last night it was telling me my user name or pass was incorrect.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

The site is definitely not working the way it was a couple of weeks ago. I gave up trying to post at all the first week and it's been sporadic this week. If they're still having problems, I'm worried about the next few weeks when we get so many posts as folks crank up their winter sowing. If GW doesn't get things straightened out quick, what happens to the 2010/2011 Container Count?

Maybe if some of us hook up via regular email we can at least keep up with developments. I have to say when I reported the problem I had logging in, they responded and had it fixed in less than a half hour. I just think they've got bigger problems and since we're heading closer to the holidays, they're not going to be fully staffed.

Sigh

13 years ago

I'm having to log in every time I close my browser, instead of every several weeks or so. Besieged with ads and while pop ups are blocked, I'm hearing many - hearing the sound of many being blocked that is.

I hadn't seen an ad or pop up since all the way back to when we had the option of paid subscriptions and buying one stopped ads....like about 8 years ago.

All my info is in my profile, yet I'm having to manually add my zone each time I post.

My issues didn't even begin when everyone else's seemed to, it wasn't until about Sunday and 4 days after GW began alerting us with the red message they were addressing the problem. This is getting old.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

I dunno, maybe I have to go shopping for a forum program sans ads to set up a place where we can post our flat numbers and other happenings. I'd like to give GW some time to get there problems sorted out but if it's not remedied by say, mid January, then for the sake of Winter Sowers, we may have to find an alternate venue for dialogue.

T

• dorothy4981
    13 years ago

Problems here also using iMac, MacBookPro and iPad - also using Safari and Firefox. I have moved and cannot update my email address.
    Must log in each time I come on this site and each time I refresh a page.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Well Trudi, I am game. I mean if not all can join in the conversation then maybe it is best. I know it has to be absolutely fustrating for those that can't log in and join in. I know me personally if I had tried all I know to try and then still couldn't or still continued just to communicate I would jump ship. I hope that is not what others are doing. I do know that several in the wsers swap have emailed me to tell me about their packages but they can't log in.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

This morning, before I had a chance to log in, I was visually bothered by a duracell add that had wires and phones coming down the screen like ninjas repelling down my monitor. Creepy.

Okay CC, lets give this a few weeks time for the glitches to get worked out, but if by then it's still no good I'll have to set something up for where WSers can post without all these problems.

I seriously hate all the ads.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I see that on most forums, GW has taken down the red message in the "What's New at GW" banner, though it does still appear at The Seed Exchange

I wonder if folks have quit reporting all the problems, assuming that GW is still working on getting everything fixed for everyone. I wonder if GW even knows that there are still major problems, since there is no message from them that they are still working to resolve many issues.

I suggest everyone make a report on each thing that is still malfunctioning, and make a new report daily. What do you all think?

examples
    Can't log in
    Can't update email address
    Can't update birthday (me)...it shows fine in my profile, but displays wrong on my page.
    Member Page blurb disappeared (me)
    Must continually log in, even when just moving from one forum to another (me)
    Garden zones not being displayed automatically when one posts. (me)

There are 3 members who posted in this thread that don't have member page email links, but I'll bet they probably had them before all these problems. I know mine disappeared there for a while...not sure if I fixed it or if it fixed itself.
    Terrene and Manda3 have no email links, yet have trade pages and morz8 has no link, but nothing listed on her trade page.

Just my 2 cents

Sue

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Ditto what you said about that Duracell ad trudi--creepy, and no amount of clicking anywhere made it disappear. The ads are becoming extremely annoying and virtually impossible to either avoid or ignore. That American Express sidebar "Don't Give Teens Cash" has seriously worn out its welcome after many months.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

I feel very guilty and just awful about having to perhaps make a 'home away from home' for WSers. This has always been our home base--this is where it began. But I would prefer a posting environment where we all can be safe malware warnings and these annoying perpetual logins. Having to log in at a bank is fine everytime I go there, but this is a family-friendly website--I have not yet minded storing the cookie that logs me in automatically. But now I must login daily. Some would call it selfishness, but I'm accustomed to safe automatice logins--it's a common means to posting at most forums. It bugs me no end that a sophisticated publishing corporation seemingly gives GW posters the short shrift.

WSers deserve better.

13 years ago

Ditto, Trudi.

I'm protective of my computer, the darned things (and their maintenance if needed) are just too expensive to practice unsafe habits with them.

Something happened earlier that was another first - I clicked on a title in Harvest (the subject of posting line) to open the thread to read and got a new full sized window that was a Hillshire Farms ad. I didn't click on the ad or anywhere near it and it still opened instead of the post.

• terrene
    13 years ago

I use Windows, Firefox, Flashblock and Adblock plus - I haven't seen an ad since. :)

It certainly seems that GW is having all sorts of login and member info problems. The only problems I've been having is that the Zone doesn't appear next to my name, and my member page info is screwed up - and my email doesn't appear!

I can't imagine what is so complicated about this forum format that they can't get the bugs ironed out?? I probably wouldn't frequent any other WSing site and am not and never will be on Facebook. But I agree that GWers are getting the short shrift, especially considering this is one of the most popular gardening sites on the web and it gets a lot of traffic and lots of google hits on page 1.

• gwtamara
    13 years ago

Hi folks,

Just wanted to stop by and assure you that we are working on these issues. Last week, we launched a new registration tool and there are still some bugs that are being ironed out. I know that it's frustrating and upsetting when things don't work as they should -- I really do feel your pain. Unfortunately, some of these bugs are difficult to recreate because they vary from member to member. What would be enormously helpful would be for you to contact us directly and detail what your issues are. Including information such as a step-by-step overview of your login process, where you are seeing issues, the error messages you are getting and anything else that might have differed from any previous login experiences. Many of you have probably already done this, but please make sure you check your browser settings and make sure that you have cookies enabled.

If you would send this information to our contact link below, that would be extremely helpful. If you have specific questions or need something else, you are welcome to email us at the link below or contact me directly at any time -- my email is listed on my profile page.

Thank you for your continued patience and support.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey
    GardenWeb Community Manager

Here is a link that might be useful: Email Us

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I told you I sent them a copy of this thread!! LOL It is good to know they are still checking on it.

Thank you for posting a reply Tamara!!

Anywho, I did not get the battery ad this morning. I do not use any ad blocker. I simply use firefox and I have mine to accept cookies till I close firefox and to also clear history once I close it. Then of course I have it set up from the above set up. Oh and I also have firefox blocking pop ups also. So the american express side bar I am totally clueless on and the battery add I have never seen.

Well Trudi, if you need help if you do decide I am with ya and I will do what I can. I stay bored and sleep is something that I seldom am able to do.

If you decide to stick around I understand that one also. I just wanted you to know what ever you decided I understood either way.

13 years ago

Are people finding improvement? Fingers crossed, I am. I've been logged in since yesterday morning (Sat), and I even shut down my computer last night, rebooted earlier.

Still the ads - if I were still connecting with dial-up I'm sure I wouldn't be able to cope. And, my zone won't show without typing it into each follow-up....but better overall.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Well I notice that I had to log in today and firefox didn't even keep my pass. I actually had to type it out. I was shocked I remembered it seeing as I changed it so many times the other night.

As for the ads I wasn't really seeing them to much before since I blocked all of those images, so I am not a good judge on that one.

My zone I just gave up on and said phewy with it. I even tried like someone suggested above and make sure it is in my profile, well it is and it still doesn't attach each time. So phewy with it!!

• sundog2010
    13 years ago

2 weeks (+?), 2 e-mails, still can't get in.

Original Author
    13 years ago

2 weeks (+?), 2 e-mails, still can't get in.
    What do you mean by "still can't get in?" Do you mean you are still unable to post to the exchanges?

Please see the post above from GW.
    What would be enormously helpful would be for you to contact us directly and detail what your issues are. Including information such as a step-by-step overview of your login process, where you are seeing issues, the error messages you are getting and anything else that might have differed from any previous login experiences. Many of you have probably already done this, but please make sure you check your browser settings and make sure that you have cookies enabled.
    I'd suggest you email them, giving them as many details as possible. I also sent you an email.

Sue

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner