SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bearstate

A lesson learned from Cactus Seed (Pic)

bearstate
16 years ago

The first time I tried to grow Puya Alpestris and Puya Berteroniana from seed, I met with total and complete failure. I planted the seed in egg cartons since they were tiny and I figured the egg cartons would do best.

However I quickly learned that direct sunlight kills seedlings and with Puya, a single raindrop can uproot them and wash them away.

I did an experiment with Cactus Seed, quite by accident really. The instructions said specifically, to plant the cactus indoors until sprouted. Ok, so I did. They sprouted and I moved some of them outdoors and in just 4 hours, the ones I put outdoors were bleached white. They died.

So I analyzed and agonized. It seems that Cactus seed sprout in clouded over Winter and put on their first growth in shady conditions until when Summer finally rolls round, they have toughened up and are tolerant of the Sun. I soon recognized that this goes for many types of seeds, but in different ways. For example, it can be rationalized that many tropicals seed and sprout under the shade and protection of forest canopy, destined in many cases to die for lack of sun after maturing, but alternatively, if blessed by a tree-fall, given the opportunity to thrive in the sun that reaches down through the slash created in the forest canopy. Eventually, they may grow up and fill the slash.

I begin therefore, to understand why the forest service had problems raising baby conifers unless they were raised within a stand or existing growth. The SUN kills the seedlings if not grown in the protection of a stand or existing growth and then too ... wind may blow a lone tree down.

So, being a new gardener, one learns a few things and finds that Puya and Aloe as seen in the photo below, are best started indoors and harbored in safe confines from sunlight and other travails.

{{gwi:489448}}

The photo shows one Aloe Kedogensis and two Puya, one Berteroniana and one Sp. ( Emerald Puya ). They have been carefully sewn in peat pellets and watered with a spray bottle to avoid having them washed away. Even in a peat pellet, a single good sized drop can uproot a puya seedling and traumatize it - to death.

This time, my seeds won't be wasted! I have tripped over my own two big feet and learned.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions