SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amelia_pepper_lady

My grandmother and brugs!

amelia_pepper_lady
15 years ago

My mother asked me last week what plants I had in the spare room. I told her about the brugs. She was very surprised. She hadn't seen a brug in about 50 years.

My grandmother had grown brugs for many years! They were destroyed when I was very small -- very unusual hard freeze lasting for several days. As my grandmother had moved into my parents' home, she wasn't able to add insulation and heat to her brugs since they were planted in the ground at her house. She didn't get any more to plants at my parents' home because of my brother and me! (Afraid to have the brugs with small children around. Probably a good idea as my brother would eat anything --- he had a couple of severe stomach problems due to ingesting plants.)

I have no memory of these brugs. What I do remember is working with my grandmother in the garden. Our vegetable gardens were several acres. Then, we had the plantings around the two houses.

I can't help but wonder if there isn't a subconscious memory of her brugs as I fell in love with them as soon as I saw photos. Before I read the first word about them, I KNEW they had a wonderful scent.

It's also funny that her favorites were the same as mine --- yellows and whites.

After telling me about this, my mother said she would give anything to find a brug. They are an important memory of her mother. Thanks to the generosity of everyone here, I was able to tell her I will plant some brugs in her garden in a month or so! (Just need to make sure we are past any cold weather.) Those duplicates are even more appreciated now. THANK YOU!

Comments (8)