SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemgardner

A Wreath in the Making

ChemGardner
12 years ago

There are many different ways to make a wreath if you look on google, but most have basically the same idea.

I used two 12" metal wreath forms purchased from a craft store for $6 total. I bought one cu ft of spagnum moss for like $4, and a roll of fishing line which holds the moss on the form.

Here are the forms, plants, moss (soaking in water at right), and plant clips to hold some of them in place:

{{gwi:494908}}

Stuffing the wet sphagnum into the wreath forms...

{{gwi:494909}}

Although not all instructions do this, I elected to put a layer of soil in between the two moss-filled forms so they will have just a little organic stuff to snack on. You can skip this and just spray liquid fertilizer every month or so.

{{gwi:494910}}

Using tweezers, scissors and flower pins, I poked holes, and inserted the cuttings and small rooted succulents.

{{gwi:494911}}

Some people go for a specific color theme, but in general, I like mash-ups of as many bright colors as I can fit in, so I went with this here as well...

Completed, about two days later:

{{gwi:494912}}

After two weeks in a brightly lit, 75 degree room, I hung it:

{{gwi:494913}}

I lost a plant or two, including sunburning that small bromedliad at the top. Also, I went to lowes after a fresh shipment from altman plants and found a few that I thought would fit in nicely. (see below for current pics).

Things I would do differently:

1. Allow the cuttings to dry more than two days (I am very impatient in general). I lost a couple cuttings to rot because they weren't calloused over quite enough.

2. After rewetting the spagnum, I would let it dry for several hours or a day so it's not super wet when the cuttings are placed into it.

All told, it took about 3.5-4hrs start to finish, but I think I could do the next one in about 2 hrs.

Total cost: initially it totaled about $25 including plants(I used quite a few cuttings from my own garden), but I added 2-3 $4 plants since then.

Overall difficultly: maybe a 5 out of 10? I am not very crafty in general, and did not have too much trouble.

Final pics:

{{gwi:494914}}

{{gwi:494915}}

{{gwi:494916}}

{{gwi:494917}}

{{gwi:494918}}

{{gwi:494919}}

Comments (15)